Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shotgunning ?

ZG

PMA Member
A friend and I were discussing the party hunting rules the other day and need some clarification on something. If a hunter gets an anterless only tag for a specific county, can that hunter participate in deer drives (i.e. party hunting) in counties other than the county his/her anterless tag is for? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would say yes, because in order to get an anterless tag, you must first buy a statewide tag. If you fill that tag, you can still participate in a drive, you just can't fill that antlerless tag in a county other than what your tag is for. Your party however better have some tags available and valid for the county you are hunting in, and you better not have too many deer on the ground than you have tags. That's my two cents. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure it's possible to only have an Antlerless tag (county specific) during shotgun season. For instance you can purchase a late season muzzleloader state wide either sex and a doe only Second season shotgun tag. If you only have a doe tag specific to a county you can not leave the county for hunting.

The laws are currently written so you can party hunt with these tags and potentially harvest bucks as long as you are in your county - what does everyone think of this?

The main driver behind the question is that I'd like to get a any sex late muzzeloader license, as well as a bow license, which eliminates any sex tags for shotgun seasons. However, I believe I'd be able to get a doe license for season 2 but the farms that we'd shotgun hunt on are in Wayne, Lucas and Warren counties, so I wanted to see if I could legally particpate in hunts (assuming the other members had any sex tags) in various counties. I tend to think Limb is right but I didn't know if anyone had experience with this issue.

It is just another way to harvest a buck legally. As long as it is legal I can not say I disagree with someone doing it. Like party hunting it is stretching your tags to the max. One guy could realistically kill 10 bucks if he killed his party of 10's deer. Personally I think that they should just eliminate party hunting altogether, even though I do it now because it is legal.

I think Limb is right. The only way you can party hunt during shotgun is by buying a anysex shotgun tag for state wide. Then you can buy doe only tag for a county.

I think your state should set a limit say 1 to 3 bucks per license and say 2 to 4 does per license statewide. The heck with all this county only this and that, party hunting this and that. Then you throw late season this and that in there sounds like you need a lawyer to figure out the regulation book. I don't know why they make it so difficult. I think if you buy a hunting license you should be able to hunt the whole season statewide with any weapon especially if you are a resident of that state.

I am giving up shotgun hunting this year for early muzzleloader. For the reasons of less presure and sick of going on land that only you and a few others have permission to hunt and you find dead does all over with there back straps and tenderloins cut out. Hopefully I will have good luck this year.
sniper.gif

I'm likely going to give up on shotgun season as well and go with a late muzzeloader buck tag.

Top Bottom