Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Should early season muzzle loader still be allowed?

sbrei

I have a question for everyone. With the technology of muzzle loaders evolving so rapidly over the last 20 years is an early season muzzle loader season becoming too easy?

I have a friend who puts in very little time over the week of early season muzzle loader and always seems to harvest a deer without too much difficultly. I guess I would prefer that Iowa removed early season muzzle loader or put more strict gun regulations in place(i.e. get rid of scopes).

I realize there is more potential to injure an animal and not recover but I think the idea of a muzzle loader is not to be a substitute for a high powered rifle. Which, in my opinion, is where we are today.

I think the idea of a muzzle loader is not to be a substitute for a high powered rifle. Which, in my opinion, is where we are today.

Welcome to the site. I've got to say I really like your way of thinking!:way:
I have really no opinion on your early season since I'm not in Iowa.

Ban in-line muzzleloaders!!!!!

Ban scopes!!!!!!

Ban crossbows!!!!!!

Ban compounds!!!!!

The only way to really hunt is with a recurve, no make that a long bow.

Oh heck, throw a spear!

:thrwrck:

If you don't like it, don't participate rather than trying to undermine what others might enjoy. JMO, as I grow weary of elitist attitudes and those who profess to know the "real" intent of a season. If it's legal, have at it.

Early muzzleloader is usually pretty tough. Bucks become unpatternable, crops are usually still in, it's usually warm, etc.

I would say it's the toughest gun season to kill a big buck.

I have never done the early ML season but I would think that if a hunter had been scouting all summer and had a big buck patterened it would be easy to whack one from 200 yards early in Oct.I just bought my first muzzle loader so I might even try it next year.

I personally would like to see this season be more of a primitive weapon season like it was at the beginning of the early ml season. How ever with retaining the current restrictions, such as only 7500 licenses, 9 day duration, only gun any sex tags allowed to purchase, and no NR licenses available, I don't think it really has much impact on deer harvest numbers. So far the harvest numbers for the youth season, almost a month of bow season and the entire ml season is only 11,255 total deer with only 3945 being antlered bucks. Even with the increased capabilities of the modern ML it doesn't appear that there is a real unfair advantage. Like the man said if you don't agree with it then just don't participate and if you don't participate don't condemn other hunters who choose this season and method to enjoy their deer season, and also don't feel you are being deprived of anything.

Yep, you're right...early season muzzleloader has become so easy that there's an entire thread on this board dedicated to those of us who are comparing tag soup recipes :drink1:

You can hunt 'em with a heat-seaking missle and it doesn't help much if they don't show themselves :D

Have a great day :way:

NWBuck

Harvesting "a deer" in any of the seasons is not difficult by any means in Iowa.

Harvesting a big mature buck is, no matter the season.

Archery 95, let me know how easy it is for you. I say that as I am nursing my 10,000 mosquito bites and am doing laundry from sweating through every stitch of camo I own in the last 8 days of early muzzy season.

sbrei, I did harvest a skin head on the last day for some freezer filling action. Could have just as "easily" filled the tag with my bow.

my two cents.

I wish I was lucky enough to put in very little time and still harvest a good buck. Congrats to your buddy. Early ML is a popular season and modern ML's are not fool proof. Even though they are much more reliable than they used to be you still have only one shot, you have to know your gun and you should be a compentent marksman. Bronc said it best, if you don't like it don't participate.

Ban in-line muzzleloaders!!!!!

Ban scopes!!!!!!

Ban crossbows!!!!!!

Ban compounds!!!!!

The only way to really hunt is with a recurve, no make that a long bow.

Oh heck, throw a spear!

:thrwrck:

If you don't like it, don't participate rather than trying to undermine what others might enjoy. JMO, as I grow weary of elitist attitudes and those who profess to know the "real" intent of a season. If it's legal, have at it.

and let the games begin.:rolleyes:

The last couple of seasons I would have been screwed without the early ML season, wheelchairs don't do snow and ice worth a damn and the youth/disabled season is good for shooting does, but you seldom see a mature buck during that Sept season.

I think bowhunting should be outlawed. I know too many people who put in very little time in November and always seem to kill a deer........

Thanks for the all the replies and it sounds like if its legal have it. I guess I'm just concerned that technology is slowly starting to obsolete the skill required for hunting. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm just concerned that technology is slowly starting to obsolete the skill required for hunting. I hope I'm wrong.
I used to worry about that very thing. Fortunately, after reading all the posts on this board and others about all the problems people have with the "latest and greatest" , I now just sit back and enjoy the read with no worries about it. What powder to use, what primer, scope problems, hang fires, what bullet to use, etc., the list goes on forever. Technology hasn't added anything except a little longer range.
Of course, a few will call me an elitist for that kind of attitude. If having a muzzleloader that is dependable and shoots good makes me one, oh well.
Thanks for your input. I look forward to more.

Last edited:
I wish I was lucky enough to put in very little time and still harvest a good buck. Congrats to your buddy. Early ML is a popular season and modern ML's are not fool proof. Even though they are much more reliable than they used to be you still have only one shot, you have to know your gun and you should be a compentent marksman. Bronc said it best, if you don't like it don't participate.

I guess I'm just concerned that technology is slowly starting to obsolete the skill required for hunting.

I think Moosehunter nailed it best, along with JNR and Shovel. It doesn't really matter how high-tech your equipment is, if you are not competent and proficient with it, its not much good. I have a high end scope on my .30-06 that I hand load Barnes TSX bullets for, pushing close to 2800 fps for hunting out west and in TX with my BIL. Its been to the gunsmith to be accurized and I have it zeroed dead on at 200 yards (sub 1-inch groups @ 200y). I know the drop out to 400 yards and I've missed a HUGE buck (150s/160s?) at just under 200 yards. Why? Because of operator error and technology! :thrwrck:(In my defense it was a combination of buck fever, being distracted by a hog that walked into view at that time, and touching a 2.75 lb trigger before I was ready [technology]). The bottom line is that no matter what fancy-arse technology you buy and buy into, if you aren't competent and proficient (skills required for hunting) with the basic equipment you have, technology isn't going to put meat in the freezer nor antlers on the wall. JMHO.

There are states like Oregon and Colorado that have very strict regulations about MLs and I understand and respect their positions, but if its legal to use scopes, in-lines, sabot bullets, powder pellets, etc, then by all means, please proceed in a safe but fun manner!

Last edited:
Wow. Your friend enjoys early muzzleloader season and gets to kill a deer almost every year with "little" effort and now you want to abolish his season. With friends like you he really doesnt need any enemies.

Sounds like he is a very good hunter and you have your nose bent out of shape.

I say, to each his own and stop whining about others that have different interests.

If you think it is soo easy why dont you give it a try? Your friend seems to tag out maybe he will let you borrow his gun. That is if he doesnt read this post.:way:

On a good year I have my old T/C Black Diamond in my hands one time, possibly two or three. That doesn't mean I don't put in my time........maybe he puts his in as well, in diff't ways than sitting in a blind with it.

Top Bottom