Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Should have mounted him!

Great thread, interesting to see everyone's thoughts.

I'm like the others who love taxidermy. I currently have 7 shoulder, mounts, a few euros and a couple other plaque mounts or simply skullplates in my trophy room. Trouble with it is that it is too small and I am quickly squeezing myself out. The way I see it is that I have 2 choices. One is to stop killing bucks that are good enough to do taxidermy work on, the other is to build a big shop where I can stockpile stuff that won't fit in the house. I like option 2 best, just do not have the funds presently, but someday I'll have a big garage/shop full of euros, skull mounts, sheds and maybe even shoulder mounts if I am lucky.

To me it is Mother Nature's artwork and I love looking at it, to me they are beautiful, not just the antlers, but the cape differences too, what a great animal. Sometimes I regret not doing a couple just b/c I love shoulder mounts but I am kind of at the point where I'd rather have a bunch of history with a buck if he's going to be shoulder mounted. Part of me wishes I'dhave shoulder mounted lastyrs but he is done euro and on the wall so that's all good I guess.

I did mount a northern pike when I was 12, 41" long, a hair under 20 pounds. That is one I definately regret as currently I'd bet I've caught 50 plus pike bigger than it.

If I were artistic enough to do taxidermy I fear I'd be looking at getting my hands on almost anything a guy could do as I just love taxidermy. Full bodied bears, moose, elk, pronghorns, mulies, walleye, rainbows, pike, perch,...the list goes on and on. That shop better be big.

I've got 16 euro's and 2 shoulder mounts... one is a 120" 8pt - the first buck I rattled in and the other is my archery deer from last year.

Of the 16 euro's, someday (if I am ever able to have my own studio) I plan on buying capes for at least 4 of them and having them shoulder mounted - they were deer that I wanted to mount but just didn't have the funds at that time.

I've also got an "hourglass" rubbed fencepost waiting to be included on a pedestal mount someday.

Top Bottom