Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shoulder Surgery :-(

I had to have two ligaments/ tendons reattached arthroscopically. I have four one inch scars; two on front, two on back. Lucky for me it was my left shoulder and I'm right handed, so my problem was with strength holdling/controling my bow, not drawing. Had my surgery in Feb., was in sling for 4-6 weeks, rehab seemed like forever. I was able to go out that year, but it was ruff. Take it slow, you will start rehab with small rubber bands, so one thing I did was "practiced" drawing with them, they will give you so to take home, but take it easy. Then eventually you will go to weights and again do motions that simulate drawing. You will get back but its slow. I hate to say it, but I still have issues with strength and mobility and its been 5 and a half years now, but I never have missed a season. Good luck and stay positive and you will be in a stand before you know it.

Not much more to add other than you could maybe talk to Boyd and rent out a lower poundage bow for deer season as I think you'll be ready to go by rut. You could also learn to shoot by pulling the bow back with your teeth if need be. No, I'm not kidding.

You could also learn to shoot by pulling the bow back with your teeth if need be. No, I'm not kidding.

My dad tore his rotator cuff a few years back and practiced this for turkey season, never had to as he was healed in time. I don't remember exactly how he did it but let me know if you want some advice and I will ask him for you.

Good Luck Wayne!

My dad tore his rotator cuff a few years back and practiced this for turkey season, never had to as he was healed in time. I don't remember exactly how he did it but let me know if you want some advice and I will ask him for you.

Good Luck Wayne!

I would welcome the advice from your father.:way:

Thanks for wishes Kaare! No food or drink after midnight tonight!:(

Got you in the last round of kids' bedtime prayers tonight, Wayne. Good talking with you, as usual. To be honest, I aslo called because it was one of those days for me today at work and I knew you could get me to quit thinking about it. Wishing you the best was my excuse to actually dial. Good luck tomorrow!

I can attest to what Bonker said......learning to do things with the "wrong" hand can be quite a trick!

Good luck with the surgery, I'm sure you'll be up and running again in no time!

Wayne, sorry to hear about your situation. I had major rotator cuff surgery last week of Feb 06 and was back shooting by August. Although I did start practicing with a mouth tab prior to that just in case. Whatever you do make sure you do your physical therapy religiously, makes all the difference. Here is a link to a site on how to make a mouth tab. Good luck! http://pcba-inc.org/pcba03/support/adaptive/mouthtab.htm

I probably should have posted here yesterday, but I provided an update yesterday titled "Bowman Update" after he called me. He's home recovering. The surgery was a success, but required more work than anticipated. He's looking at 4 weeks in a sling and the 12 weeks of recovery. As always, he's very optimistic!

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.:way: I'm doing ok but I can't decide what I hate more, the pain, or the pain pills. As Brian said, they had to do alot of repair but were able to do it arthroscopically so I'm hoping that will shorten my recovery. I have caught up on my hunying videos in the past few days. Watching them while impared on Hydrocodone adds a whole new demension, although some of the "experts" are much more tolerable when you are impared.:eek:

Thanks again!

Duuuude, be sure and drink pleny of fluid and eats tons of fiber or you'll plug up like you were corked. I'm just sayin, voice of experience and all that.

The 'Bonker

Labral tear

bowman...

So I am very familiar with this surgery because I am a physical therapist. I have treated this many times. 6-8 wks is the "normal" time it takes to see return of usual ROM and general movement. It often does not mean fully return of strength or over the shoulder movement. However, all people are different and all people have differing rates of recovery. Some heal faster than others depending on what physical shape they are in or age etc. To say that you could definitely pull your bow back after the 6-8wks one cannot truly say for sure. However, it may be possible. the fortunate thing with labral surgery does not require quite the healing time as what rotator cuff surgery usually does from my experience. I have a labral tear and I have never had surgery and I can pull my bow back fine maybe not as much ##'s as I used to but I can pull enough to kill a deer.
So definitely listen to your PT and your MD and gradually work up to pulling the bow. I'm sure your therapist will have a plan for that I often give my pts a plan for return to shooting after these surgeries. Good luck.

Good to hear from someone of your experience a-archer! They had to do the Bancot (sp?) surgery but were able to do so with four 1/2" cuts, two in front, one on top, and one in back. I'm not sure when pt starts, my 1 week follow up with the surgeon is Wednesday.

FYI ,I'm 36 and other than putting on some pounds while injured with the shoulder injury since February, I'm in good shape.

Bonker, they warned me of the "plug" issues so I tried to follow your advice. I have now quit taking the Hydrocodone and am just taking Tylenol. More pain but less impairment!

Good luck with your recovery Wayne. For anyone that has any shoulder or elbow problems, or just wants to strenghten those joints this guy is a wealth of information and great for people that have baseball pitchers and players in there family. http://ericcressey.com/

Top Bottom