Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Show The Pictures of Your Best Friend

This is Jax my GSP. He'll be five this month, and is my first dog. Couldn't have asked for a better friend! He's whistle trained, holds hard points when he's on top of a bird, and false points when he's anywhere downwind from a bird. I guess he's got a good nose. He loves swimming, and I've thought about using him duck hunting. I don't think if be able to handle the process of force breaking him stay still that long. And he's too skinny for the cold water. Over a year ago he developed a large lump on his side. Come to find out it was the seed of a Canadian rye or some other type of upland plant. We got it out, but there must still be a piece in there, as he's had a small lump that migrates around wherever the foreign body goes. But it doesn't slow him down at all. Anyone else have experience with that happening? I talk with a PF guy, and he's lost a dog from it. Love this dog. Now I just need a silver lab for duck hunting. image-1666875507.jpg
image-1165857422.jpg His first bird! image-2534940597.jpg Sometimes sad when I leave. image-1103439887.jpg New Years Day hunt this year. His best performance yet.

This is Ozzy he is 6 and he is the best house dog my wife and I have ever had. He is half bull mastiff and half boxer and a great companion and guard dog. He weighs 140 pounds
166hhz4.jpg

LOL that pic is priceless Joe!!

Here is my BFF MAX.
First shed he ever found solo.

Here is his favorite spot to spend his entire day.

And here is the little runt next to my brothers GF black lab Hercules!!

Last vet visit he was 156.....pretty sure he's not gotten any smaller since then. lol

Bud Clamato's for this guy!

Danny, Tucker looks in fine shape now after getting run over, last year...maybe needs a cheeseburger though.

Joe, those pictures were taken last year about 2 months before the accident at 7 months old. He looks great now and has filled out nicely but still a skinny little turd. I keep both his indoor and outdoor bowls full and crack eggs over his food but he is just going to be a lean machine, I think. Runs like the wind, all day if I let him!

I dig a clamato beer now and then.

Joe, those pictures were taken last year about 2 months before the accident at 7 months old. He looks great now and has filled out nicely but still a skinny little turd. I keep both his indoor and outdoor bowls full and crack eggs over his food but he is just going to be a lean machine, I think. Runs like the wind, all day if I let him!

Ok, I resisted earlier, but no more.

Long story:

When I met my future wife, she had a Cocker Spaniel named Houston, but he was AKA Hooter. When we hosted keggars, he was known to steal beers people left unattended around the campfire. Much to my wife's chagrin, I taught him to belch. So we would set around the fire, my belch was matched by his.

One night we were in the "house" (might have been a trailer;)) along a heavily traveled blacktop. There was the sound of tires squealing on pavement, then a thud. She looks at me and asks, "What was that?".

In my normal terrible flippant comment style, I replied, "Must have been Hooter getting hit on the road." Ha ha.

About 20 minutes later there was a knock on the door, a person passing by noticed him struggling on the road and thought we might be the owners. We rushed him to the vet and it was touch and go.

You've heard the term "dog tracking"? Things are moving in a straight line but the body is at a slant? Well, that was Hooter after getting hit on the road. It took him a long time to negotiate steps. He slowly recovered.

Shortly after that, we bought our farm and moved away from the blacktop that crippled Hooter and claimed the life of Ray, my Viszla (best bird dog I ever owned).

At the new farm, we decided to raise laying hens. We had about a dozen eggs that had been in the nest too long. I used the old eggs to scramble up a breakfast omelet for Hooter. A couple hours later, I went outside and found him dead along the lane. Appeared to have stroked out, he was about 11 years old.

I think it was his time, not the eggs that killed him, and take comfort that he died with a full belly, RIP Hooter.

He had a good nose, but ranged too far afield when bird hunting.

You can see him partially on the right of this "hero pose" back in 1991.

Last edited:
Top Bottom