Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

shrek1's daughter puts down a nice one

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Shes still floating around on cloud 9! It was a great hunt that we captured completly on video. Cassidy has always been on my side when it comes to hunting or anything I do. She was there sweating this summer when we were hand seeding 3 acres of beans, corn and brassica this spring. she was there when we were spraying and overseeding the beans with winter rye and more turnips. She was there when we would run cameras and scout out which deer we had using this plot. She truely has a great understanding of the work and effort that we have put into this hunt.

Sunday was the first night that we were able to get out, due to other complications on Saturday. So Sunday afternoon we headed out to the farm we were going to hunt that night. When we got there we had found that the landowner and his son were there messing around all day. He uses the farm as a recreational piece of property and his son hunts it. For putting in the food plots and helping to teach his son to hunt he allows me to hunt the property. They had been riding for wheelers and practice shooting archery on the edge of the foodplot in the timber all afternoon. Not exactly ideal situationd to hunt and we about pulled out and went to another spot.

Cassidy really wanted to hunt this spot as she was after a certain deer that she missed last year twice. She calls him "Vengie". Short for revenge. Hes buy know means a big deer as hes only a 2 1/2 year old 8pt now. But wanted to settle the score with that deer.

So finally at about 5:30 things cleared out and quited down. Within 15 minutes the first deer were headed out into the beans to start eating. Within a few minutes we had 5 does and 2 bucks out in front of us at 85 - 100 yds. One of them being the buck she harvested. At this time we had decided that he would probably be out there all night and continue to feed across the plot and right in front of us. Cassidy was not comfortable with taking that long of a shot although she had practiced at this range and was very compitent at shooting this range. After 15minutes of watching the buck he suddenly just walked out of the field. I tried to stop him so she could get a shot but he was gone. We discussed what had just happened and with a little pep talk we decided he must of went to go get "Vengie" and come back. Within 20 min utes here he came back out on the plot. This time Cassidy's nerve were a little calmer and she was determined to take the shot. Earlier in the day we couldn't find the shooting sticks so we grabbed a electric fence post that I would put my hand on and she could rest the gun on my arm that way. With one hand on the fence post and one hand on the camera, Cassidy beared downed and placed a great shot right behind the shoulder.

The buck ran out of the field and out sight. We reviewed the tape and determined the shot to be lethal but questioned the angle the deer was at when shot. Waiting for lights and recruits(Uncle Josh) to show up, we gave the buck about an hour and a half to take to the trail. Good blood at first diminshed to hardly a drop. The excitement was dwindling in a hurry. 100 yds down the trail we found the deer --- standing up looking at us! We quitely and fastly backed out!

That night I went in to work and Cassidy stayed home with Michelle. Neither of us got any sleep that night and when I got home that morning she was waiting in the garage ready to go when the door opened. We headed back to where the deer was last seen hoping to find him in a pile, but he was not there. I made a big loop and Josh and Cassidy looked for blood. Soon I heard Cassidy say she found blood about 30 yds from where we last had blood. She was hot on the trail again. Another 20 yds and she found a pinhead size drop of blood. Josh had worked to the side and was glassing down a deep ravine when I heard the " Cassidy come here and look"

From then on the smiles and joys have not stopped. Cassidy was laughing at us trying to get this deer out of the nastiest and deepest ravine he could find to hide in and we were happy to be dragging hgim out for her. After the photo shoot and a flying trip back home it was time to get her back to school. Thanks for reading our story and sorry for any typos. No time for proof reading. Good luck to all! My season has been a success already.

Way to go Girl!!!....... sounds like you worked hard for that one with all the help you gave dad preparing for the season,
A well deserved trophy!

Congrats to you and your dad. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

hoofline.gif

Nothing like seeing a young person and their deer. Congrats! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? >>>>>Details Here!<<<<< Join now and you are automatically entered into the 2008 Big Buck Contest!

11.jpg

Iowa's number one resource for the whitetail deer.

Great job!!! I wonder who was more excited. Can't wait till I get the chance to take my kids out hunting.

Top Bottom