Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

sick and now dead

Bonnett35

Buddy of mine found a young button buck on his property that couldn't walk, shaking bad, ears were down, neck was very small but the body didn't look 2 bad "as in starvation". His dog was with him and was trying to get at it so he walked the dog back to the house got busy and forgot about the deer. He told me that night about it and we went back out to find it dead. He is getting ahold of the dnr today so they can come pick it up and have it tested. We looked the deer over really well and there were no holes in it from being shot and didn't have any signs of being hit by a car. Plus it is about 2 miles from a country road that doesn't see much traffic as he lives on a dead end road. Hopefully it is nothing serious as this is excellent deer hunting groud that boarders miles of river bottoms. This is in Polk County. I will let you know what we find out

I am from Wisconsin but moved to Iowa recently. I seen first hand what cwd did in Wisconsin. Why would you have the bright idea to inform the dnr about this deer. Should have just shut your mouth. If it is cwd positive you will regret saying anything when they want to kill every deer in the area.

Bright idea and should have just shut my mouth huh??? First off you need to watch your tone, you do not know me and there is no need to be a disrespectful jerk. Second its his property and he can do as he pleases and he wants to know what is wrong with it. 3rd if it is cwd then most of the heard will be wiped out anyway from the disease. Don't come on here downtalking me when I have done nothing. Maybe you should have stayed in Wisconsin and not brought the disease with you! :) lol that is a joke of course.

3rd if it is cwd then most of the heard will be wiped out anyway from the disease.

CWD has been present in Nebraska, Kansas, and Wisconsin for many years. The only thing that wiped out the deer heard in any of those states is the DNR.

I'm not siding with the poster that said keep his mouth shut. DNR should be aware of un-healthy deer. But don't be brainwashed into thinking that CWD is going to eliminate a herd, it has been present in many herds of mule deer and whitetail across North America for many years, and anywhere the DNR did not do a shot on sight of every deer method, heard numbers are growing and a healthy herd is still available.

Well we will see what happens. It doesn't look like a cwd deer, it has some signs but not all of them. It is his property and he wanted to get if off and find out what is wrong with it. I see no harm in that, if it is cwd it is just a matter of time before the DNR would find out anyway. I didn't write this post to be badgered or downtalked to. I simply posted this to inform my fellow hunters what we came across. Hopefully it is nothing but we will see. Chris needs to choose his words a lil better and have some respect for people he doesn't know. expecially when they haven't
done or said anything wrong

Ok yes I could have put it in a better way sorry. I just have seen what can happen and if the same thing would happen down here it would be bad for everyone that enjoys to hunt. Again sorry for how I put it the first time.

Its all good Chris, I understand what you are saying, expecially seeing this first hand in Wisconsin. I am on here to share what I see and learn from others. Im not on here to make enimies with anyone, just sharing some info. Take care

I live in the heart of cwd. My hunting partner has a farm that was very close to the farm that had the first positive tested cwd whitetail.. in mt. Horeb. I am very glad that I have farms in SW WISC. where the herd was not demolished...numbers are nothing to what they used to be in the cwd area...I see some of you posting about having 30+ bucks on your farm...to be completely honest, most avg. Hunters in the cwd zones would shit hearing that number, in wisc...its aggrivating to witness what the population used to be to what it is now a days. I can understand the anger built up towards the wisconsin dnr. Its your friends farm and he has the right to do as he pleases, three years ago I witnessed the same thing!

Funny how this thread turned into a CWD debate because somebody decided to do the right thing.

If CWD has been endemic in all those states I have to wonder what the deer, both whitetail and mule as well as elk herd would be if CWD wasn’t present. I can remember one study of a rather isolated mule deer population in maybe Wyoming or Montana that was found to have CWD. The DNR of the state didn’t do anything to try and stop the spread but instead studied the effects on the herd and as I recall, the herd was declining rapidly. The very confounding variable in this study was the extremely dry years that cut down on the amount of browse/food available to the deer. Which also begs the question of transmission. Remember a disease has to have a susceptible host, in this case a potentially weakened deer, for the host to contract the disease.

My point is this, how big would the herds of deer and elk be in the states that have CWD if they hadn’t had CWD? Bigger or the same? Lots of variables but I would guess bigger. Perhaps eradication isn’t the complete answer, perhaps prevention is.

Perhaps eradication isn’t the complete answer, perhaps prevention is.

I really wish you would quit preaching 'prevention is the answer' when it's inevitable that it will be in Iowa someday. If it was 'preventable' why do states keep getting it? Oh ya, it's because they bait and supplemental feed. I forgot you had a doctorate degree and are a professional in the study of CWD :way:

I really wish you would quit preaching 'prevention is the answer' when it's inevitable that it will be in Iowa someday. If it was 'preventable' why do states keep getting it? Oh ya, it's because they bait and supplemental feed. I forgot you had a doctorate degree and are a professional in the study of CWD :way:

Does a preacher ever stop trying to convert unbelievers?

Many diseases in both humans and animals were at one time or another considered inevitable. In the 13th century, or there abouts, the plague was considered inevitable. Sure, it is still in the world today (probably less than 500 or so cases in the US/year) but science eventually overcame the disease through eradication of the vector (fleas on rats) and prevention of the spread by sequestering (I can’t come up with the actual medical term) the infected.

Until science has an “Ah Ha” moment when it comes to identifying the causative agent and its vector I will continue to beat the drum of CWD prevention.

Does a preacher ever stop trying to convert unbelievers?

Many diseases in both humans and animals were at one time or another considered inevitable. In the 13th century, or there abouts, the plague was considered inevitable. Sure, it is still in the world today (probably less than 500 or so cases in the US/year) but science eventually overcame the disease through eradication of the vector (fleas on rats) and prevention of the spread by sequestering (I can’t come up with the actual medical term) the infected.

Until science has an “Ah Ha” moment when it comes to identifying the causative agent and its vector I will continue to beat the drum of CWD prevention.

Yes, you're right. We will someday be able to prevent deer from interacting (breeding, giving birth, licking, sniffing, fighting, eating in the same field).

Why are we even talking about this? You have your 'ban everything' opinion, and I have mine (call it what you want). Hope to see you at the classic, and maybe I will buy you a beer. I heard you like to drink them.

Hope to see you at the classic, and maybe I will buy you a beer. I heard you like to drink them.

Prolly as much as you do. You buy the first and I'll buy the second somebody else can buy us the third. Better yet, lets find a bar with a good selection of bourbon and we can tallk as men talk thus curing all the problems of the world.

Prolly as much as you do. You buy the first and I'll buy the second somebody else can buy us the third. Better yet, lets find a bar with a good selection of bourbon and we can tallk as men talk thus curing all the problems of the world.

I'm being serious. We are going to drink a few beers together. :drink1:

I'm being serious. We are going to drink a few beers together. :drink1:

Me too but bourbon brings out the true measure of a man. I have been measured and found to be lacking.

Seriously, there is nothing better than sitting around a campfire in the company of good men sharing a good bourbon while remembering the past and thinking of the future.

In this case a crowded convention center and expensive beer will do.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom