Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sighting in Muzzeloader..Confused

If you can't find any of the 290gr T-EZ's and you want some more send me a pm or call me (I'll send you a PM with my phone #). I've got 3-24 packs that I'm not going to use and I could mail them to you if you get in a bind. I used that bullet with my TC muzzy, but I bought a new CVA this year & I'm using a different bullet.
I could put them in my store & sell them there, but if you need them, I'll be happy to help ya out!

You guys probably won't believe this but I shot my old knight SS 45 cal with BH 209 and left it with a dirty barrel until around the middle of January and the barrel was all pitted up to the point, I just sold it. There were no pits in it before the season. I question how corrosive this stuff really is.

I have heard others tell of very similar experiences.

I have never heard that BH209 isn't corrosive, only that it's less corrosive than the others (pyrodex, triple 7, etc.). I'm kind of surprised at how many people are saying they leave there barrel dirty even when shooting BH209. I may leave it dirty for a day or two but I still clean it every time I shoot. No sense in taking a risk.

All can say is the longest I've left mine fouled before cleaning is 20 days and didn't have a problem bug it was left in my truck or garage and not taken into the house.

I have never heard that BH209 isn't corrosive, only that it's less corrosive than the others (pyrodex, triple 7, etc.).

^^^This.
I would never dream of leaving it uncleaned for months. I leave mine dirty from a day or two before early muzzy season until I tag out or the 10 day season is over and that's only due to the fact that the first shot on a clean barrel might end up anywhere.

Took the gun to the range again today after you guys gave me your advice.. Started by running an alcohol pad down the barrel to clean the oil out, then a dry patch, then fired one primer. Loaded the gun with 100 gr. and a Barnes T-EZ 290gr with a harvester crush rib sabot (which pushes down the barrel MUCH easier). Fired the first shot at 50 yards - 1.5" high..Perfect. Second shot at 50 yards - same hole.

Loaded it again, went to 100 yards.. First shot was within an inch of the bullseye. Next shot was less than an inch from the first. 3rd shot was about 1.5" away.

All three shots were in an area the size of my fist. I know guys talk about sub 1" groups, but I'm honestly not sure if I can even shoot that well even if the gun can. Also factoring in the 24mph winds today, I can say I'm very happy with the group.

Just wanted to say thanks again to you guys for the help! I can sleep much easier tonight...

Good to hear your problem was solved.
If you did want to tighten your group up, you could play with the powder (BH 209 or even T7), and go up with it and see what happens, some times 110 gr will make it 3 shots a 1 inch group if you wanted to, Your gun will tell you what it likes, but the way it is shooting with the 290 TEZ's Your good to go, Good luck.

I know guys talk about sub 1" groups, but I'm honestly not sure if I can even shoot that well even if the gun can. Also factoring in the 24mph winds today, I can say I'm very happy with the group.

You should be happy with that, especially if it was that windy...you're not qualifying for the Olympics after all!
Glad you got it figured out!! Good luck filling your tag with it!

Top Bottom