Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sighting in slug guns

risto2351

Trying to get my boys slug barrel sighted in and I am having trouble getting it sighted in from right to left.

The slugs are hitting to the right of the bullseye. I assume the rear sight needs to go the opposite direction so it will need to be moved to the left (facing it from the backside).

As far as height it is shooting low so I need to move it up toward the end of the barrel.

Thanks for the input.

What brand and model? If you get too close to the end of the slide(up and down)you might need to get a higher blade in the rear.I had a mossberg 835 ultimag that continually shot low.A guy at the range that was a gun smith helped me by putting a higher blade on the back which brought the sight up.Best advise is to start at 25 yards and work out to 100.Have somebody else there with binoculars to see where you are hitting and help sight it in.Good luck.

Tony...you move the sights in the direction you want the slug to go...not the opposite.

1. Windage (left/right) - Windage adjustment is made by moving the rear sight.
To move the bullet impact to the right, move the rear sight to the right.
To move the bullet impact to the left, move the rear sight to the left.

2. Elevation (up/down) - Elevation adjustment is made by raising/lowering the front or rear sight.
It is recommended to start with the rear sight

Rear Sight
To lower the bullet impact, lower the rear sight.
To raise the bullet impact, raise the rear sight.

Front Sight
To lower the bullet impact, raise the front sight.
To raise the bullet impact, lower the front sight.

Bought him an 870 express since all he does is shotgun hunt deer.
With a rifled slug barrel. Just want it to shoot straight only hunting time we do together and I want it to be on.
With football he does not have time or the patience to sit in a tree.

I started at 20 and gradually worked my way back to 50.
Guess I was wondering on the rear site which way to move it.
If I am off to the right (move it toward the hole or the other way left)? If I am off to the left move it toward the hole or to the right.

Thanks for your response.

If you are shooting to the right of the bull, move your rear ramp to the left to move the slug impact to the left.

Easiest thing I can say...move the rear ramp sight in the same direction you want the slug to go.

For those of you sighting in with scoped guns, try this once if you have never tried it.

On a bench rest, shoot a round at the yardage you want your gun to zero at.

Then, while still in the bench rest, put your cross hairs right in the bull where you were holding for the first shot.

Looking through the scope, and NOT MOVING THE GUN, dial your cross hairs right over to the hole you just made. This will get you real close without trying to guess how many "clicks" you need to adjust.

Kent,
Thanks for the info. Our messages crossed and I did not see your first one before I sent it out.

He is close now (little off to the right but still in the kill zone) and after tonight we may or may not make adjustments.

Thanks again.

Hey Kent, follow up question for scopes, do you sight it in at max magnification or minimum? For example a 3X9whatever scope do you sight it in at 3 power or 9 power or does it make a difference?

Thanks,

The 'Bonker

bonks, i would say it depends on your most likely shot. if you are doing deer drives, i would sight in, and keep the scope on 3. if you will be sitting in a stand, and a pressured deer isn't all that likely, crank it up. personally, i don't see the need for that much magnification. a slug gun won't go too much over a hundred yards. 2x is plenty to kill 'em at that range, plus, the more low power, ie. the more open your sight window, the easier (quicker) you will be able to get on your target...especailly if moving.

a good scope, should shoot to the same spot at 3x as well as 9x

Thanks Teeroy, but I wasn't just thinkin about 3X9 and Iowa deer hunting. I've got a 6X24-50 that someday is goin PD shootin and I wondered if the magnification threw off the POI if sighted in at max or minimum power. To my way of thinking it shouldn't but I've never tried it or read anything about it so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a slug gun won't go too much over a hundred yards. 2x is plenty to kill 'em at that range</div></div>

Teeroy...You must be shooting $2.99 lead pumkin balls out of a smooth bore bird barrel? No?

Bonker...magnification adjustments on a "good" scope should have no effect to your POI.

I would "zero" your gun based on your estimated range and magnification power based on your best guess on "given hunt"...

Most importantly, study your ballistic charts based on your load and put your time in on the range to know what and where the bullet will be at given range.

Knowledge of the capability of your equipment, and knowledge of your shooting ability with that equipment is always a good thing.

You will always have better grades on your final test if you got a smilely face /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif or a star on your homework worksheet!

P.S. The last line was just for you Bonker! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Ghost said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You will always have better grades on your final test if you got a smilely face /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif or a star on your homework worksheet!

P.S. The last line was just for you Bonker! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

</div></div> I don't think we need to see any smiley face from that last test he did.

What kind of accuracy does a slug gun have? I have never messed with slugs, just curious. Are they as good as a ML (group, distance, etc...)?

Nanny...in my experience, a slug gun will not compete with a muzzle loader regardless of your set-up.

I will be hunting with my muzzy on Saturday morning.

The guns, barrel, and sabot loads of today are a far cry from the lead ball sprayers of years past.

If you want to spend the money, and spend the time and effort you can make an unbelieveable group at 200 yards with todays "slug guns".

I freaked a couple of years ago when I decided to get the kids all set up to be the best little trigger pullers I could. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Their set-ups are Remmington 870 Youth model 20 gauges with Nikon Prostaff 2 X 7 shotgun scopes. Rifled barrels shooting Remington Core-Lokt Ultra Sabots at $15.00 a box of 5....Ouch!!! But a 260 grain bullet at 1900 fps is pretty damn close to a good muzzy load.

We hunt thick timber stands similar to bowhunting and a 100 yard shot is rarely possible. I did "borrow" one of their guns in 2005 and put a 140 yard poke on a buck that turned him into a snow plow. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Hope everyone has a safe and successful gun season! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Kent,
Gun is sighted in thanks for the help.
I am shooting so good with it that I will probably use the boys 870 and let him use the muzzy. He is having a hard time with the 870 and shot real well with the Muzzy. Season is for him anyway.

We are shooting $2.49 a box Brenneke Sabots at 1600 fps. Pretty good price and it sure beat the smooth bore slug barrel throwing out pumpkins at them.

All we need now is a couple of suitor to try out our accuracy.
It is finally showtime.
Good luck to your little ones and yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto2351</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are shooting $2.49 a box Brenneke Sabots at 1600 fps. Pretty good price and it sure beat the smooth bore slug barrel throwing out pumpkins at them. </div></div>

Holy Crap!!! Are you sure they're Sabots or are they just the regular Brenneke KO's?

Good luck to you and the boy. Let me know if you kill one.

Thanks Ghost. I have talked to guys that said they are good up to 150 yards, and then some say 100. Most guys around down here have iron sights, and won't shoot over 60-70 yards, so I wasn't sure what the "potential" of a slug gun was.

Gundog,
Here is some info. I found on the Brenneke Sabots:

--Brenneke slugs are not really "RIFLED" but are ribed! The ribs are to stengthen the walls of the slug skirt, not to spin the slug. They work fine in rifled barrels, or smooth bores. The attached wads screwed to the base of the slug is what follows the rifleing, and stabilizes the slug even in a smooth bore, because the light felt wad attached to the base of the slug, not only engages the rifleing od a riifled barrel, but works like the fletching on an arrow, from a smooth bore. --

--I find Brenneke slugs to be top notch for just about anything you would want a slug for! --

The one thing I was worried about was the leading of the rifled barrell with the Brennekes. I was told these would not do that.

Hopefully some of the more experienced gun hunters will let us know if this is right but that is what I have been able to find out.

Scheels has them. Can not beat them for the money.

The Scoop on Slugs

Brenneke’s Black Magic and Gold slugs are, like the Remington BuckHammer, full-bore slugs with attached plastic wads but no sabot sleeves. The 1 3/8-ounce Brenneke versions are specially coated to reduce lead fowling in the bore and offer 1500-1600 fps muzzle velocities in the 2 3/4- and 3-inch designs. The Brenneke K.O. Sabot is a 1-ounce slug with an encompassing sabot and a faster velocity.

Top Bottom