Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sights for tired eyes

Shovelbuck

I have to admit, I've been relentlessly giving Blake grief for some fiber optic sights he put on a traditional style muzzleloader. It's just wrong.;)
Anyway, here's a few tips if you are having trouble seeing the sight picture clearly due to our eyes getting older.
I'll start by saying that fiber optic sights can help but generally work considerably better if you only use the front one. leave the rear sight without the bright fibers. It will force you to concentrate more on the front which is what we want no matter what sight we choose.
Another option is to paint a white dot on your front blade. While not quite as bright as fiber optics, it will certainly help.
Another good option is move the rear sight forward. Not as hard as it looks and is quite authentic. Numerous originals have dovetails filled as new ones were cut to move the sight forward as the owners eyes progressively worsened. My old original has several of these filled dovetails.
A very good way is to use a peep sight setup. Most people use a peep on there bows, there's a reason for that.....it forces you to concentrate on the front sight.
Here's a few pics of the setup I have on my .54-100 rolling block.
I use a globe type front sight that has a post for aiming point and I painted a white ring on the back side for low light. Looks as if it needs touched up a bit. Even if I can't see the inside post, my eye automatically centers the ring on the target.
I use the adjustable buckhorn rear sight for shots out to 100 yards. If a 200 yard shot is reguired, the rear peep flips up. Since the 410 grain slugs drop 21 inches from 100 to 200 yards, the rear peep looks right over the rear buckhorn. I did drill out the aperture to a larger size for ease of use in hunting conditions.
Globefrontwithpost.jpg

tangpeepandother2.jpg

Another good option are a set of Lyman adjustable sights. My .50-90 Kodiak double has a pair mounted on the rear base. Each one is adjustable for elevation and windage. The front ramp has a gold insert that really shows up well. sorry for the blurry photo of that but you get the point.
Kodiakdoubleleafrears.jpg

Kodiakfront.jpg

These are just a few suggestions to help us with old eyes out. We're all in this together.:way:

I may have to try your suggestion re: keeping the front Tru-Glo sight and putting the original rear sight back on.
<O:p</O:p
But then I have always liked a tang sight too…………….what to do.
<O:p</O:p
Thanks for the pic's and post Jay. :)

Top Bottom