Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Silencing a Bow

H

hershy

...I shoot an older split limb bow and want to make it as quiet as possible for hunting (without losing too much speed)...what have you guys used that works to reduce the noise?...

If you use a peep that requires an aligning rubber tube, getting rid of it will make a definately make a difference, you might even gain a couple f.p.s. There's a couple ways to do it while still being able to use an aperture type peep. Using a D loop on your string and adjusting it until your peep aligns correctly at full draw works pretty well, and that's what I do, but there's always the chance that the knots could slip and your peep wouldn't align correctly. I know VMAN uses a clamp on D loop, which I think is pretty much fool proof, and probably the way to go. The loop is clamped on the string so it can't rotate, so every time you draw your bow your peep should align with the aperture fully open to your eye. If it doesn't you just have to loosen the clamp and adjust it until it does. Keeping your rubber tube wrapped around one of your limbs is a good idea also, just in case you have any problems all you have to do is re-attach it to the peep and the cables.
I think I've made this sound more difficult than it actually is so I'll just stop there.
grin.gif

CRITR

...thanks, guys!...

...Scout, can I add the doinker to the stabilizer I already have?...how hard is it to attach the leaches to my string? (I am relatively new to this)...as for the mole skin - I shoot through a Wisker Biscuit so I assume I don't need to do this?...

...CRITRGITR, I don't use a peep - but thanks for the heads-up!...

...anyone use the Speed Spyders?...how hard are they to attach to the string?...do they quiet things down considerably?...also how quiet can I really expect my bow to be?...

hershy,
I use the speed spiders and they work fine. All you need is a small set of screw drivers the ones they use to work on glasses because the tool they provide stinks. You also have to be careful where you put them on your string because you can be an inch off and instead of gaining or remaining constant your speed will actually drop...not by much but it will. I have mine where the factory ones are installed on my Legacy. They do quiet the string.

Like Scout said - Limb Savers, String Leeches, Good Stabilizer with SVL on it, accessory limb savers, cable guard dampners, limb bolt dampeners, Rubber Grip by SVL, Doinker makes a good Stabilizer, so does Trophy Ridge, and you can get SVL accessories for your stabilizer also.
Good Luck

Top Bottom