Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Silly Computer question

Fishbonker

Life Member
Are IEEE 1394 and USB 2883 the same thing?

I did a search on IEEE 1394 and there was a picture of a "firewire" port and it sure looked like a USB port but the article stopped short of saying they were compatible/identical. I did a search on USB 2883 and all I got was comercial sites trying to sell computers.

I bought a device for my computer that receives TV signals and it came with software to copy VCR tapes to DVD as well as download direct form a Digital cam corder to either the hard disc or a DVD disc. The instructions said "Using the IEEE 1394 port on your coumputer" All I have are USB, an S jack and the old 9 pin jack. The instructions were a bit more vauge on VCR tapes. So are they the same or am I, once agian, screwed? I had hoped when I bought it all I'd have to do to copy VCR tapes was hook up the output from the VCR to the gizzy thingy that hooks into a USB port on one end and the same adaptor the antenna screws into, which is a common cable TV type screw in co-axial cable connection, on the other.

Thanks.

The 'Bonker

Something like this?
Sony just calls this a USB cable. Transfers pic from the digital camera and movies from our mini DVD camcorder.
4856DSC00825.JPG

4856DSC00827.JPG

I know when I bought my videocam I had to install a firewire port onto my computer which I believe is the 1394 which is different than usb. I am not sure what all the numbers mean, which could mean they are the same, but I do not believe so. I know a regular firewire and usb are not the same
grin.gif
the firewire has a bigger end than the usb port, so they won't fit into eachother.

They are not the same, one is a firewire port and one is a USB port, different connections on both ends of the firewire from normal USB and much faster transfers with these cabels. Usually only needed with high storage devices such as digital video.

What product did you buy? Firewire and USB are not compatible. If you don't have firewire (1394) you will need to install a PCI firewire card assuming a free PCI slot is available. Walmart has them usually.

I'm not sure I follow on the VCR connection. You have a coax to USB adapter? Do you have USB 1.1 or USB 2.0? 1.1 will probably not give very good results as it is USB 2.0 that is the high speed version. What type of connection does the program require?

I bought a Pinnacle HD Pro Stick. It is an antenna that hooks into a "stick" that hooks into a a 2.0 USB port so I can get HD/SD/analog TV signals to show on my computer. The soft ware makes it possible to copy VCR tapes to DVD and download digital cam corders to a DVD. My confusion is with the different cable ends. To down load from a cam corder I need a "firewire" connection that I don't think this computer has and I'm hopeful that all I need to do to copy video tapes to DVD is go "out" from my VCR with a coaxial cable and "in" to my computer using the stick with the coaxial conection on it. I haven't had time to play with it yet or really even read the directions, like I would ever read 'em anyway.

As far as TV reception, it only has a di-pole antenna so analog doesn't work at all, but HD/SD isn't bad, I get several channles but here is a bit of a skip in the screen. The instructions say to run effeciently I need a 1.7gHz processer and I have a 1.5gHz that runs at 1.49gHz. I think I'da been better off spending the money on hunting stuff, but I've got soem tapes I'd like to put on DVD.

Now if I could just find an adapetr so my 8 tracks would play on my computer....

The 'Bonker

I almost bought one of those but I'm not sure what reception I would get. From looking at the website the VCR should be able to hook to the stick. If you have a video camera that you want to attach you might be able to do that as well if it has the analog outputs as well as firewire. Mine is an older sony digital 8 and has firewire, s video, and the regular RCA output. If I am reading right your stick comes with an adapter for all three. Firewire would give you the best quality, but the others might work depending on what you are looking to do.

It came with a pigtail with three jacks on it but none of them look like a firewire connection.

Thanks for the info.

The 'Bonker

I didn't mean to say the pigtail had firewire, but if your camera has S video out or rca out then that should work according to the literature. If the camera is firewire only then you will need to add a card.

Top Bottom