Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sister's first buck...and a great one at that!!

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
This weekend was the opener of IAs First Shotgun Season. Saturday morning started off real good with my brother Russ putting the hammer down on a big doe. He shot her at 30 yards with his TC Encore and Barnes bullets, those bullets are amazing! We had passed on a few 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks at point blank range just waiting for a big doe or a mature buck. For the afternoon hunt we decided to hunt our other farm that is 720 acres and has had no hunting pressure all year! We had high expectations!

We had got into our setups just to sit until dark by 1 pm. Immediately my dad and 14 year old sister had a great buck just come walking in and bed down 100 yards infront of them in some timber. My dad woke my sister up from her afternoon nap and had her climb up and get ready for a shot if the buck got back up. Once she was ready my dad hit his grunt tube and the buck immediately stood up and started working their way! He came out across the corn field and got to 80 yards and my dad wasn't going to let him get away from them! Once he stopped and was facing right at them he told her to put the cross hairs right square on his neck and take him. He hardly got done saying just wait for him to raise his head and she dropped him in his tracks! My dad said she just rolled over and was shaking and kicking her legs saying "I got him! I got him!" They really didn't realize how big he was until they got up to him. He ended up being a typical 10 with a broken G5 on his right side and broken tip of his main beam on his right side. He grossed 140" and change with being broken and would have been 145" or so unbroken! Just a great hunt and buck for a youngster! Talk about luck on her first hunt!

Mean while later in the after noon in the same farm my brother had a doe pop out of the crick. She was looking back in the crick for the longest time and he was waiting for a buck to step out. Finally a spike came out, he knew then he had to drop that big doe! He said she was bigger body then the buck!! He smoken his second doe of the day at 125 yards!

Then come later in the afternoon around 3:30 I had a big group of deer come working by at the same farm. I dropped the first big doe at 100 yards and then reloaded my ML quick for another shot. We had one more tag to fill and the rest of the deer were confused as to what just happened. I took the next shot at 125 yards and smoked another big doe! Then as I reloaded again a big framed buck walked off!! I didn't realize he was behind all the does, oh well....get him during late muzzleloader!

Here are a few pics. Talk about a great weekend! Got 4 mature does and my sister took her first deer and a big one at that! I don't think you could have written the weekend out any better! Her buck didn't really have a outstanding body, just normal. Actually the second doe my brother shot had a bigger body!! Come to find out when caping her buck out to mount he had 7 of his teeth broken off and/or worn down! He also had a broken right lower jaw at one time and it was healed! Not sure if he was that old, got in a bad fight, or what but he was kinda small in the body and very gray in the face. I guess he won't be getting any older!!

100_0967.jpg

100_0965.jpg

my brother and his 1st of 2 does
100_0939-1.jpg

100_0977.jpg

My brother's 2nd of 2 does, I'd say she was pretty big!!
shocked.gif

100_0995-1.jpg

You could "hear" the excitement of the family hunt just by reading your story. Congrats!!

looks like you guys laid the smack down!!!
awsome weekend, its all about the time spent
Congrats on a great season
waytogo.gif

Thanks guys! She was pretty excited about it, at first she wasn't quite sure what to think but once it sank in she wanted to tell everyone the story! She even brought the rack to school!

Re: Sister's first buck...and a great one at that!

Great story and a great buck, sure looks like a fun weekend had by the family!!! Now you better get out and kill a bigger buck than her are your going to hear about that all summer
grin.gif

Top Bottom