Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sitka?

Gladiator

PMA Member
Was wanting to get some new camo and was looking at Sitka?? The fanatic series?? Does anyone have this or have any experience with Sitka? I know it's a little expensive but kind of wanted the digital camo and the quality...

Anyone know where to get it cheaper as well??

Or how about the comparison to Grey Wolf Woolens??

Thanks for any advice....

I'll second the inquiry. I've been wanting to upgrade, just not 100% sure I want to upgrade THAT much, pretty pricey! I have slipped a fanatic jacket on and from a comfort standpoint holy smokes it is amazing!! But that was just standing in scheels for a minute wearing it.

I have had both and think Grey Wolf was much better. The cost is comparable and you can get custom with Jeff. I honestly have never sat longer and more comfortable since getting my vest/bibs/jacket and pants from Jeff. VERY quiet stuff too. Both are high quality but really have been impressed with the grey wolf stuff I have.

I think I will invest in an Iwom or Warmbag before I get an expensive camo set that will cost $500 range.

I have a pair of Sitka pants, and while I do like the more athletic fit I don't see besides fit what they offer any better then competitors. Not that I buy into "scent" related technology, but they don't offer anything to my knowledge.

I am a huge believing of sitka gear and after a recent experience with their customer service team I will continue to wear the brand for a long time. Great quality. Great athletic fit. Outstanding customer service.

Western hunting and midwestern hunting are obviously two different styles and I speak with the bias of my more western hunting. I love my Sitka for the very reason of the athletic fit, especially with the mountains I tend to hike up and down. The durability of Sitka in the various terrains out there is amazing. I can hike desert mountains where there are cacti everywhere and EVERY plant is thorny and my Sitka pants and jacket hold up way better than most other stuff I own. I have other stuff and I hate when the pant legs make moving my legs uphill difficult. With all the hiking I do, especially wearing 50+ lbs of gear, my legs are pretty bulky/muscular, so the Sitka athletic fit outstanding!

Western hunting and midwestern hunting are obviously two different styles and I speak with the bias of my more western hunting. I love my Sitka for the very reason of the athletic fit, especially with the mountains I tend to hike up and down. The durability of Sitka in the various terrains out there is amazing. I can hike desert mountains where there are cacti everywhere and EVERY plant is thorny and my Sitka pants and jacket hold up way better than most other stuff I own. I have other stuff and I hate when the pant legs make moving my legs uphill difficult. With all the hiking I do, especially wearing 50+ lbs of gear, my legs are pretty bulky/muscular, so the Sitka athletic fit outstanding!

I agree wholeheartedly. I have looked at First Lite stuff, and I really like their stuff as well.

Funny you ask....today was my first day in my fanatic jacket and stratus bibs.

Fit=awesome! They are cut to allow way better movement than in any other clothing I've worn.

Warmth=Today was a good test. It was 13 degrees when I climbed into my stand this morning. I layered with a smart wool merino layer, a vest, and a sweatshirt. Stayed very warm the entire sit until 2pm when I had to go. The bibs are the stratus so not insulated like the fanatic but they do have the wind stopper. I had a pair of merino wool long johns, a pair of fleece pants and the bibs. No problems there either.

Function= I really like the cross zipper on the fanatic. It's a little hard to get zipped because it starts on your side but not having the zipper on your face when it's cold is nice. It also allows for the built In hand warmer pocket. I was able to leave my waste hand muff In the truck. The range finder and grunt tube pockets are nice. I ended up keeping my tube in the hand warmer pocket because it interfered with my bino harness.

Camo= this was my biggest worry with the Sitka whitetail gear. The optifade seemed really dark and very green. I guess this is to the human eye though. This morning I had four does (two mature) at 15 yds browsing on leaves. The wind was swirling as I was in a low spot. The lead doe got a little hinky and did the old head job while staring at me. She ended up calming down and continued to eat for a good 10 minutes. She knew something wasn't right but must not have been able to make me out. I also had a spike come through twice as well as another mature doe with no issues.

Overall I am very pleased. The stuff is pricey and I did get a discount on leoadventures so it was affordable for me. Not sure I would have pulled the trigger without the 40% discount. That being said, after wearing it, I think it is well worth the price. Durable, functional, and something that will last a long time.

Last edited:
I've never hunted more comfortably in my life and its due to my Gray Wolf Woolens.

Camo= this was my biggest worry with the Sitka whitetail gear. The optifade seemed really dark and very green. I guess this is to the human eye though. This morning I had four does (two mature) at 15 yds browsing on leaves. The wind was swirling as I was in a low spot. The lead doe got a little hinky and did the old head job while staring at me. She ended up calming down and continued to eat for a good 10 minutes. She knew something wasn't right but must not have been able to make me out. I also had a spike come through twice as well as another mature doe with no issues.

Overall I am very pleased. The stuff is pricey and I did get a discount on leoadventures so it was affordable for me. Not sure I would have pulled the trigger without the 40% discount. That being said, after wearing it, I think it is well worth the price. Durable, functional, and something that will last a long time.

If you read the science behind how Optifade was developed, its amazing how close to wildlife's eyes Gore helped Sitka get when looking for that ultimate perspective. And I'm with you on the discount. If my wife didn't work for Gore, I probably wouldn't own it. LOVE IT, though!

I have the fanatic jacket and bibs. I love them. They say it is water resistant, but after I sat 9 hours in a light rain I believe they are better then resistant. Not quite water proof but only my butt got wet in 9 hours. If it is 40 or warmer they are to warm. I hear a lot of good about the gray wolf woolens so either way I don't think you can go wrong!

Thede if you'd like to check my GWW's out you're more than welcome too. I have some uninsulated gear, mid range gear, and some of the heavy duty warm stuff.

I'm new to hunting but spent last year freezing and unable to draw my bow in the stand after sitting for hours. I tried all kinds of layering with my UA base layer and a variety of sweatshirts, bibs and softshells, ect. Over the summer I picked up sitka pieces on sale. I'm wearing fewer layers now and yesterday in snow, 20+ mph winds and dropping temps I stayed warm and drew my bow back a couple times with ease after sitting for hours. Love everything about them, they don't get in the way- fit tight but are easy to move in. Lots of pockets and zippers that are quiet. Water repellant. Windstopper. Had lots of deer less than 20 yards from me with no idea that I was there. I'm a believer but I'm sure there is other great stuff out there too. For me I needed something warm and functional and that's what I got.

On fit- stick to the sizing charts even though they will feel tight (they are supposed too). With one exception- if you have long arms size up on shirts otherwise the sleeves will be short in the arms.

The only thing I don't like about them is the flack you get from your buddies for spending too much on hunting clothes!

I love my Fanatic jacket and bibs. One thing I don't care for is the tool bucket backpack. That is a whole different story.

I have the fanatic bibs and jacket and are the best hunting clothing I have ever owned. They fit great and are the warmest gear I've experienced. Two things I don't like however. If the temp is over 40 and you do anything physical ie move a treestand, track a deer, drag a deer, etc you will sweat your n*ts off. This stuff is for sitting all day. Secondly, burrs of all types adhere to the material. It's made for being extremely quiet, and it is, but burrs love it. All in all I would buy again. Great stuff.

THanks everyone - I guess I don't worry about getting cold with either the Sitka or the GWW, I love the camo pattern on the Sitka.

There is a lot of research on deer sight out there and it seems the very small "blocks" or "squares" are what break up their vision. I've had my camo (scent lock realtree buckskin) - it is very quiet, but it's time for some new stuff. Heck I even use some WalMart stuff I bought back in '99... :D

I think the predator camo does close to what Sitka does, although they look really different. I just think I can get what I want with the Sitka Fanatic bibs, jacket, and a "next to skin" layer. That will allow me to hunt the fall as well as when it gets cold...

Buddy of mine gets a discount at Cabelas but I'll check the site you guys listed above.

Thanks for the offer Muddy - I'm in no rush, so I may stop down and get ahold of you sometime...

Check out Core4Element gear. Stuff is amazing and a lot cheaper than Sitka. I own a little bit of Sitka and quite a bit of Core4Element gear and in my view Core4Element is just as good and functional in all hunting conditions as far as plains, woods, or mountains. You can google Core4Element and browse their stuff on their website. Also check out camofire.com...this is where I buy my Core4Element gear on because they offer it at 40-60% off what it shows as MSRP on Core4Element's website. Camofire.com has daily specials so there is always a good deal on there but if you're patient you will find all the Core4Element gear at some point or you can call camofire.com and see if they have what you are looking for in their wearhouse. This stuff along with a good layer of merino wool goes a long ways.

Top Bottom