Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sixer

MadisonB&C

Not huge, but he'll do. I'll post the story tomorrow.
yay.gif

48204stuff_007res-med.jpg

48204stuff_008res-med.jpg

You're getting ahead of me, Wayne.
grin.gif
I just finished the first post when I realized I had found shed just a hundred yards from where I shot this guy. We went out to the garage, held it up to him, and what do you know. No question it is the same deer!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

48204stuff_010-med.jpg

48204stuff_011-med.jpg

Actually, that's the shed from 2 years ago. So he's just a itty bitty 3 1/2 year old that wouldn't have turned into anything. Probably a good thing I took him out before he could pass those genes on. I'll try to post the story tonight!
waytogo.gif

awsome buck man. From the pics it looks like you got a perfect smack on that sucker. I cant wait to hear the story. Congrats man you have put in a lot of effort and hard work in.

Congrats on your deer. Doesn't matter if he isn't a booner. Any deer you choose to take is already a trophy. Your family is having a heck of a year. Congrats on a great harvest.

OK, time for the story.
grin.gif

For the most part, I was just lucky. One of those right place, right time deals. It was Monday and the weather had cooled some since the 75+ degree weekend, and I thought the weather might spur enough movement to make a short sit worth the while. So when I got home after school I was busting my butt to get out to the farm with plenty of light left. On the way out, I watched the wind and decide it would be perfect for the "Bird Nest", a turkey blind situated on our field edge against a 40 acre timber. I sat in the blind and was still huffing and puffing when I hit the horns. I rattled for a half a minute or so, and barely set the antlers down when I heard stuff in the woods behind me. I never did find out what it was, though. Less than a minute after I had finished rattling, I saw a buck in our field, about 100 yards distant and walking towards the timber. At least twice I tickled the horn tips together, but all I could draw from him was a pause and a curious glance. He paused at the edge of the woods, and gave me one last chance. As a last effort, I snort-wheezed with my mouth. His head snapped up in my direction, and he stared for just a second before trotting my way. At that point all I could see was decent spread and a thick neck, but as he was closing the distance I decided that I would shoot if I was able to draw my bow undetected. He stopped at 15 yards, broadside, and I made my move. I drew my bow low, almost in my lap, trying to keep it below the top of the blind, and brought it into shooting position already at full draw. He looked in my direction as I settled the pin, and at the shot he whirled and bounded back in the direction he had come from. He stopped after bounding 60 yards and stared back at me. That's when his back legs started giving out on him. He managed to stumble another 10 yards, then he was down. I just about yelled out. My first buck with a bow, and from the ground! A cull buck, but who cares? He certainly got my heart jumping! And with a shed antler from 2 years prior and the image of a thoroughly duped buck at point blank range, this will certainly be one of my fondest memories for years to come.
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom