Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Size of ATV

jmm46

Just wondering what everyone thinks would be the best size/brand ATV for planting food plots in the 0-3 acre size? Starting from scratch on an open meadow area(mow/spray/plow/plant/spray/etc)??

For plotting I only use mine to spray and pull a spike tooth harrow. It is a 500, I wouldn't want one much smaller. I'd say it really depends on how you are going to do the prep work and what you are going to grow and maintain. Bigger is probably better for working dirt if you have the right attachments.

[ QUOTE ]
Bigger is probably better for working dirt if you have the right attachments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto

500 honda, that would do it. I know there are alot of polaris guys out there. But IMOP Honda is the best out there.

Most implement advertisments will have an engine size necessary to pull the implement. Probably based on wieght, and I've never seen one that recommends less than 500cc.

If I was in the market for a new DRV I'd look at the Yamaha Grizzly. I'm not sure of the engine size, I think it is close to 700cc, but it is fuel injected with some sort of power steering. I'm hoping they put that engine and steering in the Rhino. Then it will be time to trade.

I'm not really up on the ATV market anymore. There may be other machines out there with better features than the Griz, I just know I liked mine when I had one.

Oh yeah, one other thing, I'd for sure get a liquid cooled engine. Pulling implements at slow speeds is gonna build up heat quick. Again, I don't know, maybe all 500cc+ engines are liquid cooled.

The 'Bonker

Most all new ATVs are liquid cooled that I know of. Might still be a honda thats not. Polaris had an oil cooled system for a while as well, but the did away with that.

I would say go a min. of a 500. You can pick up a 500HO Polaris for around 6 after taxs and such in MN.
If you got all sorts of money to spend lookup the CAN-AM 800. They are biggest baddest wheeler out right now. They will stand up down anywhere from a dead stop to about 20mph.

Dean

[ QUOTE ]
Most all new ATVs are liquid cooled that I know of.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just bought my first ATV earlier this spring and what I was seeing is that pretty much all of the new models that were bigger than say around 500 cc were liquid cooled. But there were still multiple makes/models available that are air cooled too, such as the one I ended up buying. The air cooled units tended to be the ones under 500 cc or so.

I ended up with a 350 cc Yamaha Grizzly that I am very happy with. However, I knew going in that this unit was NOT suited to busting sod and/or disking fallow ground. I have already used it multiple times to pull a small harrow/drag over ground that was previously broken up with a disk with good success. I still plan on adding a tractor to my equation for the disking and mowing work that I need done, using the ATV for seeding, spraying and dragging, etc.

I seen an ad the other day that I think it was ArticCat has a 1000cc.
shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
500 honda, that would do it. I know there are alot of polaris guys out there. But IMOP Honda is the best out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Must agree, 500 Rubicon for me. Does everything I need it to do.

I had a 450 honda and it was a little underpowered for food plotting. I traded it in 2 years ago for a Yamaha 660 Grizzly, awesome machine. I've heard great things about the newer 700 Grizzly also.

I have a friend that sell atv's for a living. He sells almost all of them(yam,hon,kaw,pol,suz,ca-am). Whan I was looking for one ,he said that yamaha and honda have FAR less problem then all the others. Ended up with a Honda rancher 350, never pulls anything in the dirt(tractor for that), but does spray and pull a 4 ft cultipacker around nicely...very happy with it...

Top Bottom