Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Slow Pickens.....

I

IowaBuckSlayer2013

For the last 8 days the action has really slowed down. I have changed it up and did some evening hunts and even on water holes and nothing. I am wondering what happened.

I'd let the woods rest until next weekend starting Oct 25. Should start to pick up about that time. In the meantime let the deer be undisturbed and things will work out better for you. I recently moved cams onto scrapes and put up a few ground blinds in standing corn overlooking our dbltree plots. I also spent last weekend chasing waterfowl and will do so again this weekend. Point being, I'm gearing up for what is to come and not trying to push the issue now.

Last edited:
I'd let the woods rest until next weekend starting Oct 25. Should start to pick up about that time. In the meantime let the deer be undisturbed and things will work out better for you. I recently moved cams onto scrapes. I also put up a few ground blinds in standing corn overlooking our dbltree plots. I also spent last weekend chasing waterfowl and will do so again this weekend. Point being I'm gearing up for what is to come and not trying to push the issue now.

This. Get things ready, but give you and the deer a break. I'm huntin ducks/geese also............

What if you still have an early muzzy tag? They are still out there, guess I'm going to have to go try and find em. I'm hunting deep in the timber this weekend.

Noticed this too. I was seeing nice bucks nearly every night and then poof they all disappeared. Cams showed they are still around but the activity went from dusk/dawn to well within the dark of night.

I usually find this to be a sign that the food source they are hitting has changed. Most of these deer were eating grass/alfalfa and cut corn, I bet they have moved onto other sources. I would look for those if you are going to hunt, otherwise wait it out for a couple weeks.

Kratz

I shot a doe 2 nights ago and I had over a dozen deer in front of me in range- this isn't a place I hunt for bucks- mainly a freezer property All the action has been within 20 minutes of sunset til dark there I am leaving my food plots alone until Nov 7-9 and 14-16th

I shot a doe 2 nights ago and I had over a dozen deer in front of me in range- this isn't a place I hunt for bucks- mainly a freezer property All the action has been within 20 minutes of sunset til dark there I am leaving my food plots alone until Nov 7-9 and 14-16th

My thought is that the plots will be good to hunt the last few days of Oct and first few days of Nov. I say this because bucks will be flocking to the fields to check for does. In my experience when the chasing gets going later in that first week in Nov it's better to hunt funnels and deeper in the timber, in the forbidden areas that you have left alone. Not saying there is a right or wrong, but just what I've noticed from my perspective. Good luck, it's getting really close now!

My thought is that the plots will be good to hunt the last few days of Oct and first few days of Nov. I say this because bucks will be flocking to the fields to check for does. In my experience when the chasing gets going later in that first week in Nov it's better to hunt funnels and deeper in the timber, in the forbidden areas that you have left alone. Not saying there is a right or wrong, but just what I've noticed from my perspective. Good luck, it's getting really close now!

I would be there before the 7-9th but Halloween weekend doesn't work for me due to prior commitments But I definitely agree with you I may try and sneak down during the week prior pending on work

Top Bottom