Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

slug gun help

tip-up

i am tired of shotting at deer with my A-5 goose gun. looking for info and a 12G deer gun, not looking for anything fancy, something under $500.(used?) so any suggestions would be helpful thanks

My son and I use Mossberg 500s with slug barrels, a used one will certainly be under $500. Then its a matter of finding out what slug works best for that gun. Also Remington 870s are used alot and should be under $500 used.

With that budget there are a number of guns available. I love my marlin slugmaster which is a 3 shot bolt action with a fully rifled barrel. I've got a 2.5x scope on it. It was under $350 new several years ago. Not sure if it is still made but surely available used at gun shows(mossberg makes a similar 3 shot bolt which my son shoots and likes it - I think it is the model 835). My wife shoots a Remington 870 with a slug barrel and a 2.5x scope on it as well. Also should be able to pick up at a gun show for well under $500.

i know of a lot of people who prefer a 20 gauge instead of a 12 that say that they shoot straighter beings the slug bein smaller. i would also say an 870 that is what i shoot and i have killed plenty of deer with it. dropped one at 10 yards last year to 100 yds. that is without a slug barrel.

Might also want to check the classifieds on here, looks like there are some slug guns 4 sale.
Might throw in the mix of a
Winchester 1300 Black Shadow Deer Slug gun. Believe they are $400 new

I recently bought a Mossberg 835. It came in camo, thumbhole stock, and 2 barrels. One for turkey, one rifled. Less than $500. Haven't used it with the slug barrel yet, but the overall feel of the gun is excellent.

Stoeger makes a nice auto gun for 350+.Can get a slug barrel for i think another 150.00.Has same action as a benelli.My buddy in my hunting party shot 2 bucks with his last year.Good duck or pheasant gun too.Check your local higher end sporting good store like cabelas,scheels,gander mountain,sportsman warehouse etc.Good luck.Bob.

I would second the recommendation for the Mossberg 3 shot bolt action with the fully rifled barrel. I shoot one with a 2.5x scope and it is fantastic. I believe it is the Mossberg 695. They are not made anymore, but you can still get them at gun shows. My gun likes the Winchester Platinum Tip slugs.

My vote would be for a muzzleloader. Extend your range and it is fun to develop a load. Not to mention the possibility of hunting different seasons.

Our little hunting group gives away a Remington 870 Slug gun Rifled Barrel 20ga each of the past couple of years. I won it a couple years ago and I have to say shooting lightfield sabots this little gun is just as accurate and deadly as the high dollar Benelli I normally shoot and it can be had brand new for under $500 with a scope.

3927870exp_slug_1_.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Our little hunting group gives away a Remington 870 Slug gun Rifled Barrel 20ga each of the past couple of years. I won it a couple years ago and I have to say shooting lightfield sabots this little gun is just as accurate and deadly as the high dollar Benelli I normally shoot and it can be had brand new for under $500 with a scope.

3927870exp_slug_1_.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto the Remington slug gun!
waytogo.gif

every sporting good store, wallymart, any store that carries guns should have 870 combos and mossberg 500 combos on the shelves right now. pump combos should be around $300.
for right about that $500 mark, that stoeger m2000 semi auto combo would make a good gun, but if that is what you want, i would get on it. last year sportsmans warehouse ran out and had trouble keeping their shelves stocked
just remember rifled barrel, sabot slugs
smooth barrel, rifled slugs

Go with the Mossberg 500 with a slug barrel! ull never go wrong... got my first buck with one shot rite where i wanted it at 50 yds! most definitely under $500... if im rite they are runnin around $230-300 brand new! thats wat i would choose! but i guess thats up to u! ttyl! Good luck this year!

[ QUOTE ]
With that budget there are a number of guns available. I love my marlin slugmaster which is a 3 shot bolt action with a fully rifled barrel. I've got a 2.5x scope on it. It was under $350 new several years ago. Not sure if it is still made but surely available used at gun shows(mossberg makes a similar 3 shot bolt which my son shoots and likes it - I think it is the model 835). My wife shoots a Remington 870 with a slug barrel and a 2.5x scope on it as well. Also should be able to pick up at a gun show for well under $500.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that on both the Marlin and the Remington.

I shoot the Marlin 512P Slugmaster and it is a great bolt action slug gun. It is no longer manufactured but I found one this fall for friend used with a good scope for 299 at a local gun shop. It is heavy but it really moderates the kick. My friend borrowed it and dropped a buck at 186 yards with the winchester supreme gold slugs.

The 870 is a great gun. I had one in 12ga with a rifled Hastings barrel and rifle sights. If you plan on scoping it make sure you get a cantlevered barrel.

Savage make a bolt action which has an extremely good lock up and I have heard good reports on them but I have not fired one.

I would not reccommend the Mossberg bolt action. They shoot well but you might plan on keeping your arm in a sling after sighting it in. They have a tremendous kick to them. I know grown men who are avid shooters who will not shoot the gun. I think the gun is too light weight.

Just make sure it has a fully rifled barrel. That and some of the modern saboted rounds will kick butt on any front stuffer and push the heck out of a lot of centerfire rifles. I personally think the 20 ga has way more than enough stuff out to 150-200 yards using the right ammo, a rifled barrel and good sights.
For cheap, look at the HR topper (I think that's what they call it) Single shot breech load, about as balanced as a fence post, but put some decent optics on it, off the bench it's a tack driver

thanks for all the help, i am looking forward to this weekend, looking at and buying a new gun... ah ah a new gun in the family, such a wonderful things
smile.gif

Remington 870 20ga with a fully rifled barrel shooting the new hornaday sabots. Hard to beat that combo. Consistently shooting a popcan at a hundred yards.

Top Bottom