Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Slug gun question

Deer&Ducks

PMA Member
Bought my 1st dedicated slug gun, a Browning Silver. Don't know much about rifled barrels, just know that I was tired of using a smoothbore and the spray & pray method. What kinda groups should I expect to be shooting at 100yds with a red dot? Baseball size? Basketball size? Larger? Anyone on the site shoot a Silver & if so do you have any recommendations on a brand of ammo that your gun likes? Lots of questions, thanks in advance for any answers/advice guys.

Hornady SST s are always a good bet, they are expensive but are good quality.(should go buy 3-4 different brands to see which ones shoot the best in ur gun)
With a red dot at a 100 yards probably a half dollar size pattern. Or tighter.

Hornady SST s are always a good bet, they are expensive but are good quality.(should go buy 3-4 different brands to see which ones shoot the best in ur gun) With a red dot at a 100 yards probably a half dollar size pattern. Or tighter.
That is so unrealistic out of a slug gun with a red dot sight it's ridiculous at 100 yards even with a 3-9 scope a half dollar size pattern is probably not going to happen .Baseball size if you have a good rest and find the load your gun likes.

Last edited:
That is so unrealistic out of a slug gun with a red dot sight it's ridiculous at 100 yards even with a 3-9 scope a half dollar size pattern is probably not going to happen .Baseball size if you have a good rest and find the load your gun likes.
^^Right on

I can't speak to the Browning Silver slug gun, but I have 2 Browning Gold slug guns. The 12 gauge loves the Federal Barnes Expander 2 3/4" non ballistic tip model # P152 XS slugs and the 20 gauge loves the Hornady 2 3/4" SST slugs. I would have thought the Federal Barnes Expander ballistic tip slugs would have grouped better, but they don't for me. I expect 1.5" groups from a bench at 100 yards from both guns. The best advice I can give is to have fun and try a number of different slugs through your Silver to see what it likes to shoot.

Ok maybe I was a little tight on the pattern . With a Remington 11-87 with a smooth bored. I can pattern from a rest a little bigger than a softball. (At 70 yards). A few guys in my group hunt with rifled barrels and shoot tighter patterns than I do.

I can't speak to the Browning Silver slug gun, but I have 2 Browning Gold slug guns. The 12 gauge loves the Federal Barnes Expander 2 3/4" non ballistic tip model # P152 XS slugs and the 20 gauge loves the Hornady 2 3/4" SST slugs. I would have thought the Federal Barnes Expander ballistic tip slugs would have grouped better, but they don't for me. I expect 1.5" groups from a bench at 100 yards from both guns. The best advice I can give is to have fun and try a number of different slugs through your Silver to see what it likes to shoot.
I shoot with 2x 9000s Aimpoint red dot scopes and can obtain great groups off a bench.

Try multiple brands. Each individual gun is different. Can make a huge difference. My old Benelli M1 shot awesome with Rem Core Lokt Ultras. My Winchester SX3 20 shoots best with Hornady's SST's.

I'm with most everyone else here. It can be expansive at first to find the right brand but keep looking until you find it/them. some guns do fine with multiple different brands. Mine is fine with Remington accutips, copper solids, Winchester patricians, and others. Hornady SST's are horrible, but what works in mine does not matter to you. With the right one, baseball size groups should not be hard to do at 100 yards with a red dot.

I've had good luck with a couple of scoped rifled barrel guns shooting either Federal or Remington solid copper loads. Never been that impressed with the red dots for anything other than fast target acquisition. If you can keep them on a pie plate at 100 I think your doing pretty well.

I actually shoot the Browning Silver with a 3x9x40 scope on it as my dedicated slug gun. I shoot the Hornady SST's out of it, and can easily say a 2" group at 100 yards is my norm. The grouping carries out following the distance and drop listed on the SST box as well. I've never shot a buck at 250, but have tee'd off on a raccoon at that distance and KO'd him with about a 12-14" drop. Enjoy the set-up I love mine and rarely miss shooting this combination.

Top Bottom