Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Small town USA

Shovelbuck

This is a bit off topic but it's about old time traditional values, people and tools.

Back when I was a young boy, growing up in Marquette Nebraska, there was a Mom and Pop grocery store. Although I was between the ages of 5 and 10 when Harry and Flo ran the place, I still remember them and the store very well. They were the type of people that would slip a kid a piece of candy from a jar when your mom wasn't looking and give you a wink.
We lived only a block away from the store and from the time I was 5 or so, I would go to the store with a list and give to Harry or Flo to get for me to take home. They would happily get the items and put them on my folks bill. Sometimes they would be out of something and would call home to either Mom or Dad to see if there was something else that would work. Back then the phone system, if you had one was a party line. Anybody could be listening in, wondering what the ointment was for.;)
Being a small town store also meant that Harry was also a butcher. He'd cut up meat in a back room and there was a cooler showcasing some fresh cuts.
Sadly, when Harry died, the store was too much for Flo to run so it was closed. Shortly after, an auction was held to sell off the equipment. My father went to the auction and bought Harry's Remington knives, Cleaver, and steel. When Dad passed away I made sure that these items were not put on the auction and are now in my collection.
I should of put something in the photo for size reference but the knives blades are over 12 inches long. The cleaver is huge also and the back of it is about 3/8 inch thick. As you can see the blades seen a lot of use in Harry's hands. I've cut up a few deer using them and I'll tell you this, they just don't make steel like that anymore.
Going to the general store as a boy is a fond memory that I hope never fades.

DSCN0198.jpg

Last edited:
Can't see the photos, Shovel, but I have several of my dad's and grandpa's (mom's dad) good butcher's knives and steels. Both were meat cutters most of their lives and had great knives. The next time I flew home after my dad's funeral, all of his knives and steels came home with me. They've processed deer and elk in our garage. You can't find that quality anymore. Although I didn't live in that kind of small town, I grew up around them, especially when we went to visit my grandpa (mom's dad). He was that "Harry" in his hometown and my mom has told me all kinds of similar stories and I got my share of my own on visits. I hope those memories never fade as well and I hope those knives outlast both of us! I can't wait to pass them onto my kids. Great posts as I know have all kinds of memories flowing!! Thanks for putting a smile into one helluve a stressful run of weeks! I needed that!! :way:

Verrips grocery store, Pella IA. I was very young but also remember it well. The floor was wooden plank which creaked when you walked on it and it was quite small. Very much an old country store in appearance. Seemed to have everything a person needed however and if I'm not mistaken they would deliver groceries to your home upon request. Same way the older barbers would make home visits to the elderly and also the pharmacies. I too, would look forward to the trip for the purpose of candy.

I have one of those old knives, I will post a pic of it. It has been in my family for many years. :)

If my granddad did not have a treat in the cuboard when we visited he would flip me a nickle and off I would run to the country store right next door. The store was everything you all discribed and is now one of the buildings at Living History Farms, in Des Moines. Great memories. Thanks Jay

Sailor's Market, Malta Bend, Mo......Lotta beef and pork went across that butcher block I'd bet!!! Long gone nowadays.

Top Bottom