Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

smoke as cover scent?

rudy

i was reading about a product called the scentsmoker that uses wood chips to create smoke that you "smoke up" all your clothes and other gear with to use as a cover scent.the explanation they give about using smoke as a cover scent does make sense but seems to go against the present way i try to control scent with carbon clothing,scent free saop and spray.has anybody actually ever tried this thing?i think i might give the smoke thing a try but i'll rig my own "smoker".

Not sure about that one? I know the indians stood in smoke before the hunted & according to the history books it must have worked??? You never know...

I could be wrong on this but, I am pretty sure. There was an article a few years back in one of the hunting magazines. The guy was called the "deer toucher" he had literally touched some 62 deer or some crazy number like that. I believe he was native american, and that he used smoke as his cover scent.

It is worth a try...

I've read an article about "smoking out" before going to the woods. Also have watched a hunting show where a husband and wife team did that and then went bow hunting. They said they seldom get winded.

I've been using a Camel Light smoke cover scent for several years now. I don't think it works too good though.
grin.gif

Every time I hang my clothes out to air dry, the neighbors always seem to start burning, and when I get to the woods every deer in the county winds me. I don't think I would try it!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Every time I hang my clothes out to air dry, the neighbors always seem to start burning, and when I get to the woods every deer in the county winds me. I don't think I would try it!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.. I think that I need a little more proof before I give it a try.
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
the "deer toucher" he had literally touched some 62 deer or some crazy number like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've touched more deer than that........with carbon, aluminum, and lead.
grin.gif

There are lots of people that "smoke up" with burning leaves and swear by it.

I personally have never tried it.

I'll be in deer camp shortly. It's pretty tough to get the smoke odor off you with those shower wipes and bucket baths. I've kinda been wondering this myself. Maybe the best route would be to not shower at all and just stand infront of the camp fire before I walk to stand.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

There are lots of people that "smoke up" with burning leaves and swear by it.

I personally have never tried it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have buddies that do it too. I still just try to play the wind, most of it is right place right time anyway.

Luke I think I read that article to. That deer toucher guy, also stripped down to his skivies and rolled around in the mud right before he went out! I bet it works but I never had the guts to do it on public ground,
blush.gif
I get enough looks with my guillie suit.
grin.gif

works as a bug repelent to! Good luck
Frank

lots and lots of people in the country and small towns burn leaves, or whatever, in the fall, im sure the deer wouldnt mind that at all, in fact, id bet that would be one of the better natural cover scents out there!!

id believe it!

it makes sense...that the smoke would pretty much overpower your scent, i guess the obvious question is what the deer would think....it would work really good if you lit the whole woods up!!!

[ QUOTE ]
I could be wrong on this but, I am pretty sure. There was an article a few years back in one of the hunting magazines. The guy was called the "deer toucher" he had literally touched some 62 deer or some crazy number like that. I believe he was native american, and that he used smoke as his cover scent.

It is worth a try...

[/ QUOTE ]
We were just talking about this the other day. I have a friend that swears by it and does it everytime he washes his hunting clothes. It kind of makes sense but I haven't tried it myself.

[ QUOTE ]
the obvious question is what the deer would think....

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of my neighbors burn LOTS of wood. I think for one it is the primary heat source for their house. I'm betting the deer in the area are pretty used to smelling it.

Top Bottom