Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

smoke in your stand

all4s

Life Member
There has been alot of questions regarding human scent and the deers nose. If human scent can't totally be eliminated then whats the point? Smoke in your stand. I like old hunting books, from my library the "The Sportsmans Notebook" by H.G. Tapply. Rules for sitting still successfully. #2 Smoke if you must. Deer will smell your body oder first anyway, and pulling on a pipe or cigarette helps relieve tedium. Will a deer smell smoke or you first?
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

How rediculous is this. I use the woods to get away from smells such as this and to breath fresh clean air. People may hate me for this but I think nicotine is not an addictive drug, it is just the psycological addiction that you crave. I chewed skoal and copenhagen for better than 18 years and had no trouble quitting so I can comment on the nicotine fits with some degree of experience. For health reasons, take up chewing on toothpicks or gum, your body and lungs will thank you for it. For me, there is just too much hunting I want to do to die early from tobacco related cancer.

Don't get me wrong, I go the whole nine yards, rubber boots, no scent spray and soap etc... The question is "Will a deer smell you first or will it smell smoke"? I'm looking for a scientific answer as to how scent particals break up and disapear.

scent particals will stay as long as your smoking if you smoke a cig for 5 min then the scent goes with the wind if it goes 50to 100 yards thats to far besides how many deer do you think see you before you see them as you move your hand back and forth from your mouth ?

Did I mention I don't smoke. What got me thinking about this was a bow hunt near a dried up marsh some years back. I was on a woody fenceline marsh on one side alfalfa then CRP on the other. Twards evening the land owner desides to burn the marsh and the smoke is blowing my way. I was wearing rubber boots and had reduced my scent as well as any one can do. I decided to stay because the smoke was moving deer out of the marsh and CRP into a large woodlot and I was on their main path. The first deer came by at 35 yards when she cought my wind she bolted.I was surprised she could smell me. The smoke was like a heavy haze that was irritating my eyes and nose. More deer came, same thing? Surprised, I left. Through all that smoke those deer could still smell me.
Hunt on all4s
Shredder, if did'nt say it yet your last buck is really nice. Could you post the story from the time you started patterning him?
doah.gif

Shredder- No one should hate you for the comment but nicotine is an addictive drug. It has a strong psychological factor also but there is a physiologic reaction when withdrawn. If not addictive the attorneys did a terrible or great job on the class action settlement depending on which side you were cheering for...

Pharmer, you are right, I am wrong on that statement about not being physiologically addicted. I do think however the physiological response is short lived (<7 days) and that the long term crave that people gripe about is the psycological addiction. I think there was 3 days when I had quit I was fidgetty and moody but after a couple of days, the feeling passed. Anyways, I thought this post started out as all4s wanting to smoke on stand and seeing if he could use the smell of cigarette smoke to cover normal human scent. That is interesting that the deer smelled you after the smoke rolled in. I guess that shows you that it is hard to fool a whitetails nose.

You're right on the timeframe for physical withdrawal. Starts as soon as 1 hour in body tissues after last cigarette, peaks in 24 hours & after 3 days the majority of craving is psychological. Everyone would do themselves a great favor by stopping. I have many pack/years in my history but off now for last 12. I would wonder WHAT the guy was smoking that said it was ok to smoke on your stand.
smokin.gif

I'm sorry, I should have explained myself further. This is a 1950,s "how to hunt and trap book" (humorous in its 101 techinques). The part I found interesting was "Deer will smell your body oder first anyway". Is that possible? I thought, (Hypothetically) Here comes Hunter Dan walking through the woods drippen that nasty,scary, human predator scent all over the leaves on the path and it's sticken to the branches he brushes against.No need for a drag rag! Hunter Dan has left a trail of "Dominate Hunter Scent 101" all the way to his deer stand, (you know the type, elevated on four old telephone poles and framed up Wisconson style). Ok Hunter Dan Climbes into his stand, pours a cup of coffee and lights up a smoke. The smoke blows down the path he came in on, (lucky for him). Ten minutes later here comes Mr. Fork Horn. When he intersects Hunter Dans Path, he bolts. The Question is "Does the deer smell you or the smoke first"? I was just cerious does anyone know how long human oder lingers vs other oders such as smoke?
I'm not on this site to talk about cig addiction or to be an advocate of any adictive substance...END OF SUBJECT!! I'm here because the ruts on, my tag is full and I'm birdy and looking for a deer fix. All I want to do is talk deer!
Sherdder I want to go on record and say "Smoking a cig to cover ones scent is retarded"
Shredder what about the whole story on your hog? will you post it?
Hunt on All4s

If you watch this site long enough, you start to see that the guys who are fanatics about scent control, clothing storage, & wind are the guys that consistently shoot big bucks.

Top Bottom