Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Smokepole scope suggestions.

boacephus

Between work and cutting wood, not to mention the wind, I didn't have time to shoot my smokepole. I switched to triple 7 and and different sabot. Skipped the morning hunt went a shootin. First shot, that sounded funny. Okay so lets use my scope and see where I hit, huh. Ahhh crap, that's what I get for buying a used simmons scope. I suppose I got the $50 buck out of it over 3 yrs though. Can't even look througgh it. Triple seven with 125 gr knocked something loose in it. I do have the open sights dialed in at 100yds though. Seems I'm a better shot with open sights then scope. Either that or I found a good load for my gun.

Okay so long post/story short. What will be a good scope to put on my TC Black Diamond 50cal XR atleast it wasn't from Wally world. It's by far not an encore or a Knight, I think that will be next years purchase. I'm looking probably around 100-150 bucks. Prefer a variable, around 3x9. Maybe even one that could be switched over to a new smokepole should I get one.

I'm using a Burris Fullfield II in the 3x9-40 power. Only had it for a year but am really happy with it. Before that I used an inexpensive Bushnell Trophy 3x9-40 that worked well also.

I have a 2x7 Leupold Rifleman on my Encore. This particular gun and scope combo has proven to be a tack driver!

Hey Muddy - what did the Burris run you? I see on their website most of the 3x9's list for around $350. I need to upgrade as well. The simmons 3x9 that's on my Encore doesn't do the gun justice. Heard some good things about the Nikon Omega too.

I trashed a Simmons scope with my muzzeloader years ago, now it wont focus no matter what. I replaced it with a Leupold 2x7 VXII and love it. 150 grain loads havent bothered it yet.

Nikon Omega
grin.gif

What's the eye relief on the scopes you all recommend. I don't like getting smacked in the head all the time.

Black Diamonds are awesome, still use it when hunting in heavy brush where scopes kind of deceive you.
Use a 3x9x40 VX II scope from Leupold.
Before that good old open sights on the Black diamond.

I have a Nikon Monarch UCC 2X7X40 and really like it.

I follow a few muzzleloader forums and the Bushnell Elite 4200 and scopes from Sightron seem to be popular. I don't have any experience with them.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Muddy - what did the Burris run you? I see on their website most of the 3x9's list for around $350. I need to upgrade as well. The simmons 3x9 that's on my Encore doesn't do the gun justice. Heard some good things about the Nikon Omega too.

[/ QUOTE ]

$220 at the Iowa City Scheel's last fall.

I bought a Ziess Conquest 3.5-10x50 for my T/C. I have Leupolds on my other rifles so this is the first Zeiss I have tried. I'm REALLY impressed with it. Personally I'd rather have a higher end scope even on an average gun.

I use Leupold 3x9x40 VX I No problems yet I have 6 of them.

Ghost let hear about that Omega scope, do the prefixed reticals work for you?

Ryan, to be honest I didn't really get all set up with the load to use the range reticals. I don't hunt fields and am 90 percent of the time in thick timber. In other words, 150 to 200 yard shots are out of the question due to where I hunt.

I'm 2 inches high at 50 and dead on at 100 with 100 grains of 777 loose powder and Barnes MX expander sabots.

I think it would really have a great application for Western hunts in states that allow scopes.

Other than that, I just use it like a regular scope and the quality and field of view are great.

Eye relief is also super good.
grin.gif

I went out to Bass Pro in Council Bluffs today with a buddy and bought the Burris Fullfield II 3x9-40 with the Burris Landmark 8x-32 Binocular package for $199. They've got their fall hunting specials going on right now. For that combo price I didn't think I could go wrong. I looked at the Nikon Omega several times and really liked the clarity and light gathering but just couldn't pull the trigger for $250....I just don't have those long range shots that justify the higher end optics. Has anyone else bought this package and have any feedback? I really want to mount the scope and shoot tomorrow but I'm still dialing in the muzzy for a CO cow elk hunt this September.

I have the burris 4.5-14x42 on my AR and I love it. On a snowy night I can still easily shoot 100yrds with a partial moon. The low light is great. It sat in my truck all winter long bouncing through fields and my scope is still right on. I'd like a leopold but can't see spending twice the money.

Top Bottom