Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Smoker

So just smoke, no scent elimination sprays? Scent free laundry soap? Scent free body wash? Trying to think of all the questions I and maybe others have.

I do wash my clothes in scent free detergent, and use arm and hammer in scented anti persperant, have always washed with dial anti bacterial soap

Interesting topic...certainly worth a shot. Thanks for bringing it up. NWBuck

I went to a coyote hunting seminar and they had a guy put on scentlok and a dog was able to track him but after smoking up he was not able to....

I have done this for the past 3-4 years and i can say it is the best method i have found. I have gotten lazy and do not even wash my clothes with unscented detergent or use unscented body wash. I use cedar in the smoker and it creates a nice thick and almost "sticky" smoke. The deer can definitely smell something, and often act a lil spooky, but never change course of direction or skirt my set up. In 3-4 years of hunting high deer density farms i can count on one hand how many times i have had a deer blow at me while using this method.
I used to be religous about scent free showers, dressing in the field, scent away sprays and some carbon clothing. My results were no where near as good as with smoke. Its free and it works.

Do you then store your clothes in a bin? How often do you wash and "resmoke" your clothes. This is awesome, never hear of this before.

I looked into this a couple years ago but never ordered. Scentsmoker.com has a system but I think just starting a campfire and hanging your clothes in the smoke would be the same thing.

I went to a coyote hunting seminar and they had a guy put on scentlok and a dog was able to track him but after smoking up he was not able to....
There used to be a video on YouTube with the same demonstration but I can't seem to find it.

A little observational evidence from a weekend experiment...

Thursday night I lit a campfire in the backyard fire pit. Strong wind blowing, and I simply hung my camo over a deck chair on the down wind side. I suppose it was in the smoke line for an hour or so, and yeah, it definitely smelled like campfire smoke when I hung them on the back porch. Saturday morning I took my first bow stand of the season with swirling winds in a hillside stand. Did not have any bucks come through, but a total of 8 does and fawns over the course of 3+ hours. At some point, all were in the downwind path, and none either blew or changed course. A couple acted like they smelled something, hesitated for a minute, then continued on. Others, including a doe with twin fawns were directly downwind at less than 20 yards and never seemed to notice a thing.

So long story short...there will be semi regular fires in our back yard throughout the fall. I think it's at least as effective as anything that's available commercially, but in fairness, I've really only tested it once.

I thought I'd just add a little observation too...not with hunting, but just smoke in general. I smoked some meat last Friday morning, but didn't stand by the smoker constantly. In and out to check temps and tend to the meat. Was wearing a fleece. Didn't wash it afterwards, just hung it up in the house. Still smelled like smoke yesterday morning, and even caught a faint hint of smoke this morning. Not sure it would be enough to cover human scent that long without re-smoking, but did show that the smell can really linger in your clothing for a while. I'm sure it would be even better if kept in a tub! Haven't tried it for hunting yet, but may have to give it a whirl one of these weekends.

Top Bottom