Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sniff Test

Fishbonker

Life Member
Whiterock Conservancy came to my attention the other day. I did some sniffing on their web site and what I found didn’t pass my sniff test.

The founder of Whiterock, Elizabeth Garst, is on the Natural Resource Commission (NRC). Whiterock’s Board of Directors includes Pat Boddy Interim Director of Iowa’s Department of Natural Resources and Ken Herring, ex head of the DNR Wildlife Bureau.

Why is this important? Whiterock, among other things, is a pay to hunt business in the guise of a not for profit organization that has applied for and accepted taxpayer funded State grants and would stand to bring in vast amounts of money if the State were to raise the number of nonresident either sex deer tags.

I don’t know how many grants nor how much of their total funding has come from taxpayer monies or hunting revenues, but one must suspect with the Interim Head of the DNR and the ex head of the DNR Wildlife Bureau on their Board of Directors they will gain much more support for our tax dollars and an increase in NR tags.

Ms. Garst’s term is up in 2011. I would recommend that we all contact our State House and Senate representatives as well as the Governor Elect and ask that Ms. Garst’s appointment be reviewed.

Do your own due diligence, draw your own conclusions and take action as you see fit.

http://whiterockconservancy.org

http://www.iowadnr.gov/nrc/files/nrcmembers.pdf

That would explain the only communication I've ever had with Mrs Garst......she blew me off when I contacted her about the tag increase back during the deer study.

I'm not a lawyer and dont pretend to understand the mumbo -jumbo lawyer speak but ...

istock_000005445187xsmall.jpg

Whiterock is archery only so I don't see them benefiting all that much. I propose we let them increase the number of NR tags, but make it mandatory that all the extra NR's hunt at Whiterock! I'm sure they would back down from that rather quickly. :way:

Whiterock is archery only so I don't see them benefiting all that much. I propose we let them increase the number of NR tags, but make it mandatory that all the extra NR's hunt at Whiterock! I'm sure they would back down from that rather quickly. :way:

They whould love this as Whiterock is strickly a pay to hunt venue. 4600 acres of Iowa property turned into a hunting resort that only those who can pay get to play. They recieve state and federal money. They fight to take away from the iowa natural resource known as "the Iowa hunter". They fight to give privleges to the NR landowner and hunter to the detriment of Iowans. It all appears as a tradition killing attitude focused only on their agenda with zero regard for the everyday iowa sportsman. I say all of this simply because they don't believe their approach is harmful to the Iowa deer hunting heritage or they don't care.

Visit Iowawhitetailsforever.com and register. We will keep you informed during the legislative session concerning hunting issues. Do you care?

Last edited:
Top Bottom