Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

So I'm DONE!

gundog870

Premium Platinum Member
Well I got done with finals on wed and came home that night so I could turkey hunt. If you read "Daily Report" you know how yesterday went for me with the spot and stalks.
frown.gif
Well today was a new day. I woke up at 4:00 and it was raining pretty good so I said forget that and went to bed. I was going to go to clear lake and fish later. well grandpa called at 9:30 and said don't waste your time coming to clear lake. Soo I went back to bed till 12:30.
grin.gif
Finals week drained me!!

So at 1:00 I said I better not waste a whole day so I threw my gear in the car. went out to scope out the fields. First field, BINGO!! 3 toms and 5 hens. two of them strutting. They were on the one section of the river bottom that I dont have permission for!
frown.gif
But wait they are heading for public gound. So I have to drive about 6 miles just to get around and get there. I did that in record time.

I was able to cut them off and was about 600 yards from them and I tried to set up the blind. BUSTED. They head back to the private ground. So i stick around and kill mesquitos till 3:18. Forget this.

Drove the loop again watched another group of birds on ground that i cant go on. get back to the side i first saw the birs( there is public ground on this side also) the birds were still in the private field bu I figued what do I have to lose, they are heading to this public ground now.

I wasn't in the mood for a blind this time. Really wished I had a shotgun and took off sprinting through the CRP to cut these birds off. I get about 60 yards from where i want to be and walk, because I am dying from being out of breath.

Get set up in the corner with the birds about 500 yards away. its about 3:47. Its Windy so I stand up and crank and crank on my call trying to get them to hear it. NO LUCK! too windy, but a hen comes out about 60 yards from me!

after about 25 minutes the Wind dies down a little. I crank on 'er again. PUFF both toms strut, i dont know where the third is. I am in business, and the hens are coming. The hen at 60 yards yelps. I cut her off. here come the hens! YES!!

well the toms strut the whole way. following the hens. they get to about 100 yards. the one tom heads to the timber. and now the other tom is in front of the hens looking my way! i am in business. he walks a little than struts for two minutes. everytime he goes in to strut I call. He gets to fifty yards. He turns to look back at his hens. I cut at him hard. the hens yelp back. He stands up tall. He sees the pretty girl now. I cut cut cut cut yelp yelp yelp. he runs the next 40 yards across the field straight to the pretty boys face, he's had enough. I drew when he was running and out it on his wing butt. game over. 18 yards shot. NO BLIND NO PROBLEM!!!
grin.gif

2177100_1073.jpg
2177100_1076.jpg

oh, same bird different pictures.

Great story!!!
and Congrats on a great public land archery bird!!!
thats an accomplishment!

[ QUOTE ]
Nice job bud, hard work paid off|!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardwork? Are you kidding me this fool woke up went to the feild half asleep layed down for another nap i suppose and this tom said shoot me shoot me. Id say that he is lazy!
grin.gif

I'm going to have to agree with MQ32. Sounds like he's lazy and a little out of shape. as far as the story goes.... a little made up to me, maybe think of something original next time.

ooo kids. Let me know when you can fit iin a lesson. And MQ32 my guiding fees just tripled.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I hope the finals went as well as the hunt.

[/ QUOTE ]

My finals "therapy" actually I think is what kept me on track when it came to study time. I rocked my finals.
grin.gif

Way to go Nick! I've followed your daily postings and glad all the effort has paid off.

No tag for me in MN this year. Walleye Fishing Opener next weekend up North.

WinnieJoe,
awesome good to hear from you! no tag, thats a bummer! should of gotten a tag for down here. Did you stay on the fish the rest of the winter?? my fishing shut down for a while after pout fest, but got into some ice out cats.

Top Bottom