Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Soil Test results

36racin

New to the site. Have many questions and plenty of work to do. A close friend acquired this property in south Mississippi just recently. We have had a biologist on the property recently. We have some hack and squirt to do, a whole lot of privet hedge type bushes to kill, bahia grass to kill in a pasture, pine tree thinning and the list goes on and on. But to start off with are the food plots.

Got soil samples back to day. Wish I could figure out how to post the whole PDF file. Heres what the results are. Tell me what you think. This is my first year on this property. It was recently purchased by a friend. Plot #1 was already existing from someone that was hunting the property already. Plot #2 is new.

PLOT #1

pH (1:1 Water) 5.24
Phosphorus, ppm 46.38
Potassium, ppm 62.89
Calcium, ppm 726.67
Magnesium, ppm 88.67
Sodium, ppm 16.72
Sulfur, ppm 12.61
Copper, ppm 0.64

Zinc, ppm 0.95

PLOT #2

pH (1:1 Water) 5.35​

Phosphorus, ppm 10.90

po
tassium, ppm 78.78
Calcium, ppm 596.69
Magnesium, ppm 119.34
Sodium, ppm 12.76
Sulfur, ppm 12.23
Copper, ppm 1.03

Zinc, ppm 2.12

Thanks for your help,
Todd

Todd,

Somewhere on your soil test it should give the recommended amounts of P&K required for whatever crop you intend to plant. What you have shared only indicates PPM which only gives a general indications...not the amount required.

The PH is definitely very low and that should be your first priority. Take a look in dbltree's corner (see top of this forum) and in there you will find threads on fertilizers and using lime. Those threads have many detailed links to help you understand more about how much lime is required to correct your PH but again soil test from ISU Soil Labs here in Iowa tell me exactly how much of each element is required.

I would also recommend reading through the other informational habitat threads in Dbltree's Corner for detailed planting/growing info on almost every imaginable crop. You cannot start a new thread there but you can post questions on an subject and I'll do my best to answer your questions...:)

Top Bottom