Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Solar panel ?

ajadams

PMA Member
I have a ? for you camera experts. I have a moultrie trail camera and bought a solar panel to use with it. I was going to put a hole through the bottom and sodder the wires to the aligator clips that hook to the battery. Is that the way to do it?

What kind of battery are you using? Also, does the solar panel have a blocking diode? It sounds good though.

PS. How big is the solar panal? ie, how many amps(watts) does it generate?

There should be alligator clips on the solar panel already. then there should be 2 external prongs on the side of your camera, one + and one -, You should hook them to there. I wouldn't recomend any drilling no. If your panel doesn't have clips on it take it back for a new one.

It's a moultrie 6 volt rechargeable battery and moultrie 6 volt solar panel and says it constantly trickle charges and won't over charge. My camera doesn't have the external prongs but the panel has clips, there's just not enough room inside for 4 aligator clips. There is already a tiny hole in the bottom of the case so I figured I could make it a little bigger and run the wires in through there.

Yeah I guess that if you don't have external prongs thats what you'll have to do. I have moultrie 4.1's with the solar trickle chargers. But they have a place to connect on the outside. Just don't make the hole any bigger than you have to and maybe seal it up with a little silicone after you attach them inside. Good luck. Mark

Decided I should let you guys know that If your are thinking of puting a solar panel on a camera that is not already set up to do so, don't do it. I think it screwed up my camera. It will only last a day or so now and then will say battery low and not take any more pics. I can shut the camera off and turn it back on and it will have three bars of battery life left.

Top Bottom