Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Someone tell me Im not crazy

So i have passed this buck twice in the last week. And each time it kills me. I have a feeling he is young and could be something real nice one day if he can make it...... what yall think? is he 3.5? thats what im thinking. I feel crazy lettin such a good looking buck walk bye.

picture.php

Looks like a good mainframe 12 to me, but yes IMO he looks younger. 1 more year, a little tine length put on, and some mass and you'll have a brute.

I would defintitly agree with you on age. He'd be really tough to pass up, but the reward would be well worth it if it pans out. Looks like at least his left brow is split.

Not crazy at all. If you can keep him safe another year, you may have the buck you really want. Gotta protect them young super bucks. The best thing you can do is target the older, average racked dominant bucks in that area, and remove his biggest threats, so he will stay in your area another year.Almost every really big deer we have taken, we had to go thru the same thing you are for 1 or 2 years and shoot an older but not nearly as big a racked buck, but its worth it when you see the velvet blow up the next July.

Definitely looks young, but still a very good deer. If you think he will stay safe until next year and don't have trigger happy neighbors I would let him go until next year and he will be a beast. Although that is very easy for me to say laying here in bed instead of looking at him from a treestand lol.

you will never shoot a huge buck if you keep shooting big bucks. In my own experience every buck ive shot that i had to second guess myself on while he was walking in, i was always a just a little disapointed when i found him. You are doing the right thing imo.

Very hard pass there. Alot of points on that guy. I would guess he is only 3 1/2 years old. Find his sheds and have a big smile on your face next year when u get pictures of him.

I was going to tell you that you have been watching to many hunting shows but the more I look at that picture the more I think he really could blow up next year. Tough call buddy good luck this Fall

Twelves like him to me look like they have a ton of upside yet. I am in the same situation on two farms hoping that my decision is not hurt by gun seasons.

good call, definitely a young buck. Takes a lot of discipline to let a buck like that walk, but I think you made the right decision.

:way:

That deer is not over 3 1/2 years old. Look at the hindquarters, stomach, ears, back, and head. His stomach is tucked up like a racing horse. I could be wrong but I would be surprised if that deer is over 3 1/2 years old. Very nice deer though. If I am right he will be a monster at 4 1/2 and 5 1/2.

That deer is not over 3 1/2 years old. Look at the hindquarters, stomach, ears, back, and head. His stomach is tucked up like a racing horse. I could be wrong but I would be surprised if that deer is over 3 1/2 years old. Very nice deer though.

I agree...this is what I was going to say. Look how his stomach comes back up into the back haunches...

Nonetheless, I think anyone would have a giant congrats to you if you shot him.

Great deer. Props to you for holding off. Trophy is in the eye of the individual hunter and means different things to different people.

:way:

Not crazy at all. He's the type that can put on 2 inches per tine, plus beam length and mass and add over 30 inches of antler easy, not guranteeing it's gonna happen, but he appears as though he could. It's a tough pass, and I hope it pays off.

Tough pass definitely, but good pass IMO. Don't shoot him now that you've passed him cause you will be not be REALLY happy with him. If you have to think about it, don't shoot. Hopefully he doesn't disappear on you.

Tough pass definitely, but good pass IMO. Don't shoot him now that you've passed him cause you will be not be REALLY happy with him. If you have to think about it, don't shoot. Hopefully he doesn't disappear on you.

Agreed. It is hard to say for sure what will happen to any buck you let go by, but that one is one that truly looks like he could get stupid big. In addition to what others have already said, his bases do not look overly large, so I too would guess him at 3-1/2 years.

I don't think you're crazy at all. The only thing crazier would be for someone to shoot him during shotgun or late muzzle season...or worse yet, shot as an anterless deer with the crazy long doe season the state now has in place!!!!

Top Bottom