Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Something New

FarmlandQDM

I have spent the last couple weeks working for a client on a TSI project that basically consisted of killing chinese elm and amur honeysuckle that were invading an oak stand. Terrible time of the year to work but it was a job I couldn't turn down. Working on this project was yet another reminder as to why it is often a mistake to bring in non-native species and plant them in your management area. This particular landowner originally planted the chinese elm for asthetics in one small part of their property and over time the species has really inundated their entire property, as well as the neighboring properties, and now threatens all the other habitat work they have spent considerable time and money on. The amur honeysuckle was planted by a neighbor and it has now invaded portions of my clients property too.

Iowa has been lucky so far that we have not been over-run by hard to control, invasive, non-native species that were once thought to be the next best thing in habitat management. We do have our list of problems but if you travel much in the more eastern parts of the U.S., and have a general interest in botany, you will notice that many parts of the country have significant ecological problems do to the many introduced species that were planted with the best of intentions.

The point of my post is to ask anyone that is managing land in Iowa to do some research before planting the next "something new" for habitat. If you are considering planting something that is not native to Iowa, check with your area DNR Forester or Private Lands Biologist, NRCS office, or someone that works with habitat in your area. Find out all you can about the species you are interested in and if anyone else has experience with it. Careful planning and research into what is best for planting might prevent you, your neighbors, or possibly the ones that inherit your land from regretting the decisions you make today when your "something new" becomes a problem in the future.

Good advice Rob...and a reminder to "go native" when ordering seedlings /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I believe the State Nursery is only offering native seedlings anymore so one should be safe, but it wouldn't hurt ask your local forester before ordering in the spring...

Killing those elms will really help the mushroom harvest in a couple years. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Killing those elms will really help the mushroom harvest in a couple years. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

It's actually a property that has security guards and video surveillance... not a good one to go after mushrooms on Skully /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's actually a property that has security guards and video surveillance...
... not a good one to go after mushrooms on Skully </div></div>

Are we talking about pharmers place? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Top Bottom