Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Something positive

Sammy

Obviously Oct 1 can't get here fast enough as there have been alot of negative post as of late. In an effort to get some positive vibes flowing lets hear about your opening day plans. If your not hunting opening day when will you get out and why?

The season has been open since 9/1 here in KY and although I have hit some public land I have yet to hunt my lease as I'm trying to keep intrusion to a minimum until activity picks up. I've been chomping at the bit to hunt a stand I hung in late spring. It's situated on an inside corner blocked off by the head of a cove on a lake. Things are funneled down just right and I fully expect every buck in the area to pass by that stand within bow range........ :D a fellow can dream can't he?

Good idea. I plan on taking opening day off work to go doe hunting. I plan on being set up high hard woods ridge on a nice little funnel that connects two ridges. If I shoot a doe in the morning, I plan on buck hunting in the evening. After that, I am not hitting the woods again until November.

I won't be in the woods until the first Saturday, but I'll be set up near where that big 11pointer I got on trail cam is living, hunting a couple hours then participation in my 25 year class reunion later in the day. Hunting Sunday morning is seriously in doubt, as well as waking up before noon.

I think/pray I have a very nice Buck patterned well. I took first two days of the season off And with some luck may get a shot.

great post!
depending on the wind, i'll probably hunt opening evening but then won't get out again until the 13th or 14th as i have work obligations and then am taking a week to head home and help my dad with harvest.

I'll be out for sure. I usually hunt food sources the first 10 days of season. It's supposed to be nice and cool and will be a great time to take advantage of a big boy. I'll leave the timber alone until Pre rut. Early Oct, and Dec are the best times to utilize your food sources! The first week is a great time to take advantage of all the trail cam and window scouting the last few weeks. 3 of last 5 archery bucks I have killed have been in the first 10 days. Sucks tagging out that quick, but you have to take your target bucks when they present the opportunity, no matter the time of year. Great thread and good luck to everyone.

Last edited:
I'll probably take off opening day as well and try to harpoon a slickhead just to get a hunting fix. I don't usually hunt much in October unless it gets cold. Hunting in hot weather sucks, plus I don't want to burn out my set up areas before primetime hits. Plenty of time to hunt in November and December. :way:

Would love to go opening day but I will probably be busy with harvest. We are a little more than half done with corn and have yet to start in on beans. Hope to get in the stand by the middle of October or if there is a rainy day that chases us out of the field.

I may try to get out once or twice opening week, doubtfull tho as I am pushing a project to completion that is going to take a lot of time for the next 3 weeks. Probably won't hunt much until the fourth week of october, then I'll try to plow into it hard!

Most likely will not get out till early November (my choice). I pretty much seen just smaller bucks in Oct.

Since ive never shot a Buck with a bow, I will be sitting 3 or 4 afternoons opening week. Between school and work that's as good as its gonna get.

Top Bottom