Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sometimes persistence pays off!!

biggest buck

I have been trying to gain permission to a prime piece of timber since 2008 and each year I get the same response, NO. This small timber is only 32 acres, but is the prime deer bedding spot just down a half mile from the 65 acres I have permission to. No one has hunted this property in the last 15-20 years, the old gal couldnt remember the last time exactly but thats what she told me, and I know of many people who have asked her. I figured I may as well stop and try my luck once again, only this time asking to turkey hunt. At first it was the same ole response, no, but after about 15 minutes of schmoozing the ole gal she said YES! :grin:
Although I dont have permission for this falls deer season, at least my foots in the door.

Sweet. Make sure to do something nice for her to show your appreciation for letting you turkey hunt!! Even if you don't hunt there. :D

Sweet. Make sure to do something nice for her to show your appreciation for letting you turkey hunt!! Even if you don't hunt there. :D

I already have a gift card to a local steakhouse just for things like this. Gotta keep them landowners happy!

I'm a kid so ole ladies always let me on ;) gotta love being a kid! Out of the over 15,000 acres I've asked to hunt/shed hunt one person said No. But let me hunt it during youth season for 3 days before my surgery. It also helps when you have a broken limb xD

Edit: one other guy said No but I convinced him this year to let me shed hunt it :) nice guy. Didn't find anything though.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I'm a kid so ole ladies always let me on ;) gotta love being a kid! Out of the over 15,000 acres I've asked to hunt/shed hunt one person said No. But let me hunt it during youth season for 3 days before my surgery. It also helps when you have a broken limb xD

Edit: one other guy said No but I convinced him this year to let me shed hunt it :) nice guy. Didn't find anything though.

Better keep a sharp eye. Sounds like Cougars might inhabit those woods:way:

First day on this piece of ground, buncha gobblin but none in view yet. But dang have I had the deer come right up beside my blind. 21 so far with three bucks, one was a big old boy. One small buck sniffed and licked my decoy!

Even though I was unsuccesful this morning I learned a little bit about the ground, found a decent shed and a dead 8 ptr. I did have a tom strut in but skirted my decoys, took a 25 yd shot and I hit the zip down window of my blind. Ugh. Then the rains came for about an hour. Once the skies opened back up a flock of 5 toms came in really quickly and went past my hen decoy to the opposite side of my blind where I had my jake decoy five yds out. Had to quickly zip my front window and unzip my side. The toms then got a little nervous and were headed out. Took a shot at about 15-18 yds and drilled one! Turns out I hit him a tad low and he hobbled off to the timber where he stood on one leg for ten minutes. Once he disappeared out of sight I tried to get around him and cut him off, with no luck! So even though I didnt harvest me a bird it was a very good productive day. This is the first gobbler Ive ever lost bowhunting. Cant wait til friday morning now!

WooHoo!
I'm in for this years deer season!
I couldnt be more happy tonight.
I stopped by with a gift card, talked with her for half an hour and by the time I left, I had permission. Going to hang a trail camera next tuesday and see whats in store for me this fall. 1 month and 22 days til Im in heaven!

Top Bottom