Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Son's first bow kill

RTN

9129c376.jpg

He now thinks Iowa is the only place we should hunt.....go figure.
confused.gif

Thanks guys. This trip will go down in history as my favorite. I placed 3 stands for him that I usually hunt when up there. I knew the deer would be all over him and he might just get a chance at nice one. As a matter a fact at the 1st stand we placed (the one he shot the buck out of) we jumped a big buck and 2 does laying directly under the tree we placed it in. Stands get placed and I tell him...." it's all up to you now, go hunt". He did everything himself. Stand choices daily were determined by wind, the drag rag, the scent elliminators (he told me at one point he would even spray down the bushes he brushed against to his stand, Good Lord no wonder I'm running low!), the calls, everything...it was all him.

Anyhow he tells me that 2 days prior to leaving he was going to try to take a deer no matter the size or gender. After 5 days of deer parading all around him (some nice bucks) and no shots he dicides it's time to start slinging arrows. First attempt arrow falls off of rest. Second attempt shoots over. Third attempt shoots under. Good Lord son...I think I would've been totally dejected by now. Not this 14 yr. old. He just laughs about it and trudges on. We tell him he's got it all dialed in now and the next one will be right in the middle.

That evening as two of us are heading to town for groceries we get a frantic, heavy breathing call on the 2 way.

Went like this:
Son: "Dad, dad, I just shot a huge buck!"
Dad: "Calm down" (yeah right)
Son: "He's huge"
Dad: "Was it a good shot?"
Son: "I think so"
Dad: "Are you sure you hit him?"
Son: "Yeah I saw the arrow sticking out of his back as he ran off"
Now we're thinking "back" that's not good.
Dad: "How far was he when you shot?"
Son: "On that trail right next to the stand"
Now we're thinking well maybe not so bad, that trail is only 10 feet away.
We decide since he didn't have a pass through and it sounded like a good shot that we would take up the trail immediately figuring there would be little or no blood trail and the arrow would do more damage if the deer stayed on the move. By the time we picked up my son and ran him through the scenario again it was about 1 hr since the shot. All of a sudden we get another call on the 2 way from one of the other guys. "Hey did your son shoot a deer?" "Yeah, why?" "Don't worry about tracking him 'cuz he's laying in the river right out in front of me". Let the party begin!!

As we're trying to get him out of the woods we send my son and his uncle to get the ATV. Just b4 my son walks off he tells me. "Hey dad, when I first saw that buck I said...come on grandpa bring him this way" (Grandpa's no longer with us) As my best friend and I sat there in the dark waiting for them to return, it suddenly all came back to me and I kind of lost my composure, although be it briefly. THIS is what it's all about.

Best hunt ever.
Good luck to all you guys/gals

That is what it's all about. Congrats to you and your son. My son is up to bat next year and your story is making me anticipate it even more.
What a great deer.

I remember getting a similar first call from my son. Great story it brings back alot of memories. Congrats to you and your son. Great first buck.
smile.gif

Great story RTN and tell your son "Congratulations". I got a little choked up reading your story. You are very right, that's what it's all about.
grin.gif

Great story and great hunt! Tell your son congrats. I'm counting the days until my boys join me hunting.

Top Bottom