Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Son's Youth Deer

OK. I'll try this again.
6bigdeer4-thumb.jpg

And maybe a 2nd one???
6bigdeer3-thumb.jpg

I am not sure why there so little. I could never figure out how to post the pictures on here anyway so you are one step ahead of me. Looks like a great deer though, tell him congrats.

Congrats to you and your son. That is a dandy buck!
waytogo.gif

Your pictures were small because you linked the Thumbnail photos in your URL address. Right click the photos and you will see the properties.

Thought I'd bring the details of the hunt over here as well. Details of the hunt. We started out trying to set up several spots for 3 youths to shoot a deer. 2 of them would be on their first deer hunts and my son would be on his 2nd(See my photo albulm for pics. of his buck from last shotgun season) So we ended up with my 2 person stand, a blind and Scout's two stand set-up plus a spot in a field shed on a hay field for rainy days and an old camo. tent with windows cut in that I set up. After 3 trips to the blind where we only had a shot at a button buck and 2 sits in the 2 person stand where a mature doe came within 10 feet of sure death we decided to adapt. We went back to the blind and moved to a weedy fenceline 40 yards to the north. It had a green field on the north side and several does had fed into the field on the previous hunts rather then track past the blind and had winded us. So we were on our way hunting and I let my son choose the spot. He chose the blind and I asked him about the fenceline spot as we had a NW wind and we could cover the greenfield as well. He agreed so there we sat on our "white buckets" with cushions and waited. About 25 minutes before dark he whispered something to me and being the deaf old fart that I am I couldn't hear what he said. So of course I leaned forward and said "What did you say?" Immediately an old mature doe promptly blew up 15 yards behind us and took off snorting into the corn, blowing all the way. My son then tells me that there's a deer coming from the NE out of the timber and it's behind the tree up there. I'm thinking that it was coming until that doe busted us but after about three minutes I see movement up the hill about 80 yards out. It's a deer all right and it's coming down the fence line just as we had planned. I can see ears and the white throat patch and not much more. Then my son says there is two of them so I peer through the weeds with my old fart eyes and make out some movement and not much else. Finally they close the gap and I think I see a small amount of antler. I smile and think how happy the landowner will be when my son takes out a 1 1/2 year old tree-wrecker as they're wreaking havoc on his young walnuts. So I'm waiting and all of a sudden my son can't sit still. His shoulders and arms and legs start to do the boogie and his gun is bobbing and weaving like an NBA point guard. I'm laughing to myself and wondering what the big deal is as he shot a nice buck last year and this is only a little one as far as I can tell. His shakes get worse and suddenly a HUGE buck ducks under the fence and appears in front of us at 20 yards. I'm trying to pinch my butt cheeks to keep from crapping my pants as this huge buck stands there surveying his domain and my son shakes in his boots. I was so flustered I didn't even count the points but my son immediately starts to raise his gun. I stop him as the buck looks our way and after an eternity he puts his head down and moves forward about 10 yards. I give my son the ok and he starts to shift and aim at the buck and the buck hears the weeds rustling so he locks in on our location. My son freezes in mid-aim and the gun is doing the Macarena as well as his knees doing the boogie woogie and the weeds are rattling and I'm scared &^%^$@&#^&*LESS! Finally he puts his head down and starts to feed so I tell my son to go ahead and shoot him. He moves the last little bit to aim and the big guy has us pegged. Suddenly the 2nd buck ducks under the fence and I look at him with disappointment as he is considerably SMALLER then the first one. After a millisecond common sense kicks in and I tell my son to shoot the 2nd one which he does at the same time the "Big Boy" decides to snort, blow and vacate the premises. My son manages to put a slug in the neck of the 2nd buck and drop him within sight. The big fella stays about 80 yards out blowing until we move out to finish my son's buck off. Needless to say my son was a very happy hunter that night and he had one proud papa. I wish I had a scale to weigh this hog as I've never hung or butchered a deer this big. We could barely get him in the truck and it took three men to hang him in the shed. We lifted him as high as we could and still could not get his nose off the ground. Oh yeah, as a closing note the landowner told me this week that he has seen the first deer running with another "big buck" in the last week and if Scout or his daughter doesn't shoot them in early muzzleloader you can guess where I'll be hanging a stand before the month is out. Maggs

great story and congrats on the buck. thats the stuff lifelong memories are made of. can't wait until my boys are old enough.

Top Bottom