Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Source of Funding for Private Landowners

AZHunter

Iowa Boy At Heart
Working for the largest conservation agency in the country (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service), I get access to a great deal of information regarding Federal funding sources for habitat improvement, especially for private landowners. I was flipping through our latest publication (Fish and Wildlife News) this morning and read an article about a consevation funding program I didn't even know existed, and wanted to get this info out there to you all. In 1989, Congress passed the North American Wetlands Conservation Act (NAWCA) with the idea of protecting/maintaining healthy populations of waterfowl through "...protection, restoration, and management of wetland ecosystems and associated habitats...". The NAWCA was reauthorized in 2002, but expanded in scope to "...include the conservation of all habitats and birds associated with wetland ecosystems, not just waterfowl...". There are two different grant programs (Standard Grants and Small Grants) aimed at all types of landowners, municipalities, tribes, land trusts, etc. Both grant programs are competitive and both require at least a 1:1 match by the applicant/partner (in-kind labor, equipment, other monies, etc.).

The Standard Grants Program supports projects in Canada, U.S. and Mexico that involve long-term protection, restoration, or enhancement of wetlands and associated upland habitats. The Small Grants Program operates only in the U.S. and supports the same types of programs as the Standard Program. Grant requests may not exceed $75,000, and funding priority is given to grantees or partners new to NAWCA's grant program. According to a table in the article, from 1991-2008, the Standard Grants Program funded $544.2M in projects (almost $2B in matching funds) to protect 6.3M acres.

I encourage you all to look into this relatively obscure funding program for habitat improvements. As you all know, even protecting, restoring, and enhancing habitat for "every day" birds provides great habitat improvements for deer, as well as turkeys. Plus, what better way to further solidify your relationship with the landowner of the farm you hunt than to help him secure Federal monies to improve his/her habitat. If you want more information or a pdf of the article, PM me and I can scan it and send it to you.

Does the landowner retain all property rights and ownership? I vaguely recall a wetlands program that amounted to a long term easement to the Feds.

JNR- that's actually a good question, and a general misconception we have to deal with constantly when trying to protect species and their habitat. We (FWS) and the rest of the Fed Govt, can't take anyone's private land away from them, when trying to protect habitat or species. As far as I can tell with this program, yes, landowners retain all property rights and ownership with no easements to the Feds. In my short duration with FWS (6 yrs so far), I've not heard of any funding sources, especially ones we're tied to, requiring a long-term easement to anyone. We've come a long way as an agency in the last couple of decades in realizing that some of our best chances are conserving habitat and protecting species (endangered or to keep from being listed) is by working with the private landowners. There are Conservation Easements that can be applied to private land to ensure that they stay "as is" and can't be developed into housing developments or "ranchettes". With a Conservation Easement, you also get a decent tax break. The RMEF just recently help put a CE on a nice piece of land down here in AZ to protect it from any kind of development and ensure that elk and mule deer habitat are maintained in perpetuity. I can dig more if you want me to, just let me know. As scary as the words sound, this time, we're from the Goverment and we really are here to help!

Here is a direct link with more info (and no land grabbing!):

http://www.fws.gov/birdhabitat/Grants/NAWCA/index.shtm

Thanks for posting the info and link! I think I have it listed in the thread on Conservation Cost Share Programs but if not I'll add it!:way:

Conservation Cost Share Programs

I would like to know more about the actual application process and any specfic details on what we can apply for?

no land grabbing!

So I can't buy the neighbors farm?? ;)

Last edited:
Dbltree- I don't remember if you posted that link or not. I know I sent you other info way back then. As far as the "no land grabbing"...if you can buy your neighbor's farm, go for it! I was actually referring to the notion that the Govt (FWS, especially) can't take private property from others. Its a huge misconception. But if you use FWS money to purchase your neighbor's farm, I might have to use my official govt authority and do a site visit to make sure everything is on the up and up with FWS money!! :way:

Dbltree- I don't remember if you posted that link or not. I know I sent you other info way back then. As far as the "no land grabbing"...if you can buy your neighbor's farm, go for it! I was actually referring to the notion that the Govt (FWS, especially) can't take private property from others. Its a huge misconception. But if you use FWS money to purchase your neighbor's farm, I might have to use my official govt authority and do a site visit to make sure everything is on the up and up with FWS money!! :way:

LOL...hey if I could buy a farm with it I would buy you a plane ticket to come up !:D

I posted the linkbut I still am unsure exactly how one goes about applying for a grant? if you have a link to that actual form or application process please post that for us...;)

Sorry, I don't have the link to the forms. One of my colleagues familiar with the program showed me that link and indicated that one should call the contact person on there to get the forms and they will help you figure out the grant. You can also call the local Migratory Birds Program coordinator for that particular FWS Region and they can help you. Iowa is in Region 3, although I'm not sure where the Regional Office is (I'm at home today with a sick kid). I did a quick search and found the R3 Migratory birds website, which lead me to the following about our Bird Habitat Conservation Division's website (http://www.fws.gov/birdhabitat/index.shtm). They are the administrators of the NAWCA grant. It looks like, in addition to the NACWA grants, there are a few other migratory bird (neotropical) grants that can be available to private landowners. Sorry, that's all I have right now without being able to dig at work. When I'm back in the office tomorrow, I'll make a phone call or two on the Govt dime (your tax dollars :grin:) and see what leads I can track down.

Of course, then I read on further and click another link and find the contac info. The Standard Grants have a different process, depending on which country you are in. I know there are some Canada hunters here, so I'll include that contact info, too.

Contacts
U.S. Standard Grants proposals: David Buie ([email protected]), (301) 497-5870, or Bonnie Gaukler (bonnie_j [email protected]), (703) 358-2017.
Canada Standard Grants Program: Leakhena Au ([email protected]), (703) 358-2463.

For the Small Grants, there is a completely different process. You need to contact your local FWS Joint Venture Coordinator. It looks like there are multiple coordinators for Iowa, depending on where you live: http://www.fws.gov/birdhabitat/JointVentures/Directory.shtm

Contact the Joint Venture Coordinator in your project area for assistance with developing a project proposal, for information about how proposals are ranked, and/or for guidance on Endangered Species Act, National Environmental Policy Act, and National Historic Preservation Act compliance requirements.
For general program information, contact the Small Grants Program Coordinators:
Ken Kriese ([email protected]) (703) 358-1888
Rodecia Mcknight ([email protected]), (703) 358-2266.

Sorry this seems so complicated, but we really are here to help!

That's some great information...thanks!! Looks like a "not in the middle of the rut" project though...;):D

I'd like to make one thing perfectly clear to everyone who reads this and anyone who pursues one of these grants: If I can be of ANY assistance, whether personally or professionally (it is the agency I work for, afterall), DO NOT hesitate to contact me. Its great to see hunters who believe if conservation as a whole (all species/all habitats). Too often out here in the western US, I see hunters call themselves "conservationists" but only want to conserve those species they hunt. They don't care about conserving the little birds, etc. and don't realize that protecting an "every day bird" and its habitat can provide huge benefits for elk, turkey, deer (mule and whitetail). I love seeing the attitudes of this group and will be glad to help in any way I can, even if it means coming back and taking a look at your property, including during (especially) the rut! :D

Top Bottom