Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Southwest Iowa EHD

kjohn15

I have heard rumors flying around of dead deer all over the area. Avoca, Woodbine, Logan, Beebetown, Oakland, and Carson are the areas I have heard seperate rumors of EHD. Anybody out there that can confirm this? We are checking cameras this weekend and keeping our noses in the air to see if our hitlisters are dead. I sure hope not. We may call off the hunt this year if we find many dead. There is also rumors that some cattle have been affected in Iowa and Nebraska. Wasn't aware that cattle could contract it, but I guess so.:confused:

Cant confirm or deny. I have heard reports as well but have been too busy and also avioding going walking down the ditches to look for dead ones. A part of me doesnt want to know but another part of me says we need to evaluate whats out there. Perhaps this weekend I will go for a stroll and see if there are any dead ones near or in the ditches. Hate to disturb too much this close to season though.

I received email from the owner of one properties I hunt and said the found a doe dead by the river when moving cattle. She said if I come down to let her know if I find any and what sex and if they are fawns because the DNR was taking reports. She also said that they heard of cattle contacting EHD in South Dakota and was concerned about their cattle.

Found 3 dead in 200 yds of a draw when squirrel hunting with my son last weekend... dont know how to tell if its EHD but they were all laying in the creek when they died... Adams Co

I have been told of Guys in montgomery county finding dead ones. My question is how do you know if if is because of ehd

Death

UNconfirmed but have neard that around 100 have been reported dead to the DNR in Guthrie county. I have not found any yet.

i was told this morning that the DNR found 80 dead in a state park south of winterset , Pammel im thinking? but not sure that was the name

what good does reporting do? friend and I found dead 2 yr old near water by culvert . strange place to fall if hit by a car. strange if needful for water to come so close to the road? who can tell?pray this endless summer comes to an end.!

Last weekend I was checking cameras last saturday and jumped a buck laying in the creek he was about 150" 12 point I noticed he was acting funny he jumped up ran about 20 yards and just stopped stared and walked slowly away. I went back to see it he was in the creek again and as soon as I got out of the truck i could smell him he was dead about 20 yards frow where I saw him last saturday and judging by the decomposition he must have died right after I saw him I think its a big problem I found 5 dead deer today all by water

From an email I got earlier today. I also got a map of confirmed incidences of EHD.

• EHD is a virus that is spread by a biting midge; there is no deer-to-deer transmission
  • The midge feeds on an infected animal, the virus colonizes inside the midge; when the midge bites an uninfected deer the virus is spread
  • EHD is closely related to bluetongue and both produce the same symptoms in deer
  • The virus causes the animal to spike a high fever, cell walls break down, cell contents begin to leak (causes fluid build-up, swelling), areas of internal hemorrhaging occur
  • In the latter stages of the disease, the animals will be lethargic, stumbling, sometimes drooling, and unresponsive.
  • The cases we have been seeing in Iowa are mostly peracute and acute cases of EHD with the animals dying within 1-4 days after the fever begins
  • Because the disease progresses so quickly, deer dying of EHD will be in good body condition. They will often be found in or near water because the high fever and dehydration makes them seek it out
  • The disease poses no risk to humans
  • The meat is safe to eat. Although if a hunter shoots a deer in the latter stages of the disease when it is not acting normally they will be shooting an animal that has been under extreme stress for a couple of days (high fever, dehydrated, adrenalin in system, etc.) and the meat quality will likely be impacted as one would expect
  • Cattle are resistant to both EHD and blue tongue for the most part and mortality is fairly rare and many will not even display any symptoms if infected
  • Sheep are fairly resistant to EHD but bluetongue can have an impact at the herd level
  • Since Iowa deer are only exposed to the viruses on an infrequent basis, the resistance of our herd to the disease is low
  • The outbreak will end once we have a killing frost which will also kill most of the midges

The map:
ehd.jpg

We are finding them dead here in KS. I found two dead on Saturday while checking a camera on a pond. There was a doe and a spike. We had both of them on camera before they died. They were so freaking skinny that it was scary! They both laid down and died 10 yards from the pond in the shade.

Crazy How madison and warren have number that High, and surrounding counties are in the 50s and 60s.
My guess is that the DNR are doing their jobs in those counties! I know of 3 different guys in Monona Co. that have called in dead deer and the DNR have not responded to the reports! I dont know if DNR are going of these guys word or not.

Top Bottom