Soybean Plots Looking Good

Terrific_tom

Both of my soybean plots planted on Memorial Day are looking good. They got off to a slow start with the cool weather we had in June and early July but with all the rain and hot humid weather lately they are catching up quickly. They are just starting to flower and by the pictures the deer are starting to browse them.
IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

Nice!! I'm jealous...mine got planted later than I wanted with all of the wet weather in southern Iowa this spring and then once they got planted...it didn't rain again for 3+ weeks. So they are pretty skimpy. Aaarrgghh!

Yours look great!

I'm more jealous that your deer are just starting to browse them! haha Ours have been getting hammered from day one, and our exclusion cages look AMAZING, then the rest of them are 3-5" shorter from the heavy browsing. How tall are yours at this point terrific?

I'm more jealous that your deer are just starting to browse them! haha Ours have been getting hammered from day one, and our exclusion cages look AMAZING, then the rest of them are 3-5" shorter from the heavy browsing. How tall are yours at this point terrific?

I didn't measure but would say 12 to 16 inches tall.

We are trying something new this year. We have about a 4 acre plot that we like to put beans in. We have a permanent shooting house that sits about 60 yards off of the plot. It has been there for years and the deer don't pay any attention to it.

It is virtually a gun only plot. It is surrounded by native grasses, not trees. The problem we have seen in past years is that by the time gun seasons roll around the field has been hit so hard there is little left there to bring them in. So this year we put electric fence around the middle two acres of the field (in front of the shooting house). The deer are still able to feed on the the beans outside of the fence, but we should have a nice crop of standing beans when the gun seasons roll around. The difference from inside the fence to ouside is easy to see.

Looking good TT-
I had same thing with my plot- slow start. I know the rascals get going slow before they fix N but I was concerned like you & turned out great. You'll have some great deer nutrients for a while there, looking great!

Back