Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Soybeans as food plot

bbloom96

I have a 3 acre soybean plot. The deer hit it early and clipped alot of new growth, but it has done pretty well otherwise. What should I do with the plot this fall. Leave it stand through the winter, cut it and plant a late season plot or till it under? Thanks for any guidance.

Leave it stand and broadcast winter wheat, rye, or brassica of your choice over the top with a heavy seed concentration. Works best before a good rain. As the leaves fall off the beans they will work as a mulch over the seeds and help with germination also. It is one of the best ways to make a year round foodplot IMO. Good luck.

We planted 4 acres in soybeans last year to drill NWSG in this spring. It was in Feb. so the season was over but I have never seen that many deer in 4 acres before. Every morning for about 5 days they were there. They totally wiped out every stalk that was standing. Picked up two sheds out of it and didn't have to worry about mowing the bean stalks before drilling the grass /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif I would leave it standing alone or like mentioned above put something that might attract them a little earlier in with it. Good Luck.

Top Bottom