Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sparring bucks

scout

I've noticed a considerable amount of sparring going on between the younger bucks. It seemed a little early to rattle. By Early BP Season it may work on the bigger guys. Whats the largest deer anyone has seen so far?
I saw 3 pair of basket racks and a P&Y eight that only stopped them by false charging.
Maggs - that big nine paid no attention. I hope he pays no attention to that green man in the tree!
biggun.gif

I hunted Saturday evening and saw several deer, 4 of which were bucks. Two of the bucks were heard sparring prior to me being able to see them. I could clearly hear them and finally was able to spot them through the leaves at about 50 yards. The bigger buck was a 140" class 9 point and the smaller was a 120" class 8 point.

I have frequently seen/heard deer sparring around this time of year, but never anything too aggressive. I would think some light tickling of the antlers could arouse a buck at this time, but I never really hunt too much this early. Good luck.

pulled back on one tonight. nice 12. 150 class. tines wern't real long, 8, maybe 10 in at most G2, but was very wide and main beams swept way around. Ends must have been only a few inches apart. he needed to come another 10 feet and i would have had a 25 yard shot. while i was standing there pulled back he looked up and didn't like what he saw.
893shocked-thumb[1].gif
should have brought the decoy with i guess.

Watched 2 3 1/2's sunday evening that would go 144ish and 148-150ish. They sparred in front of me for 20 minutes right before dark. I had to wait 30 minutes after dark to get out of my stand because they kept on sparring right in front of the stand! I finally just got down and snuck out. They were still going at it. I could have shot them both but they just weren't what I am looking for. Later, T$
beerchug.gif

both morning ive hunted about a half hour before light, ive heard bucks sparring about a 100 yards away, i have yet to see them, they are gone by light. the first night i had a 140 walk by from the direction of the sparring in the morning and am wondering if he is one of the ones that is sparring in the morning. im gonna try some light sparring during the second weekend of early muzzleloader and see if it works, goodluck guys!!

Top Bottom