Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Spear Hunting

blake

Life Member
Would this be considered traditional hunting? :grin:

Montana Lawmakers Consider Spear Hunting Bill

A Thompson Falls lawmaker wants Montanans to have the option of hunting with a hand-thrown spear.

The Independent Record reports the Senate Fish and Game Committee discussed Republican Sen. Greg Hinkle's bill on Tuesday, and nearly voted to approve it.

However, they decided the bill needed to clarify the hunting season in which the practice would be allowed. The committee is expected to consider the bill again on Thursday.

Hinkle says about a dozen other states have legalized the use of spears in hunting. Senate bill 112 would also allow the use of an atlatl, a spear thrown with a separate device to increase power.

Spear hunters often await their game from up in trees or track the game with dogs.

The Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks is taking no position on the bill.

I am going to start hunting with Lawn Jarts (or lawn darts), remember those things, very deadly on big game!
I'll edit this to clarify better :)
Guess I don't have an opinion on whether they should allow this season or not. One Negative in the equation may be: I kind of get the feeling there will be a lot of wounded animals from this one or possibly a bunch of nit-wits hunting together and one winds up with a spear stuck down the top of his head. Wonder why they are pushing this, up sides, etc? Didn't say much on that one.

Last edited:
I am going to start hunting with Lawn Jarts (or lawn darts), remember those things, very deadly on big game!

Guess I don't have an opinion on this one, I kind of get the feeling there will be a lot of wounded animals from this one or possibly a bunch of nit-wits hunting together and one winds up with a spear stuck down the top of his head.

If that isn't an opinion, I don't know what is!:way:;)

I meant- I don't have an opinion on WHETHER TO OPEN THE SEASON OR NOT, even with what I said after- the negatives being what I said as a couple examples, then looking at the +'s. I still don't have an opinion as to legalizing it or not even with my thoughts- see what I mean?

Although this would be the most rewarding way to take an animal in the world I for see a lot of short chuckers wounding animals

I for see a lot of short chuckers wounding animals

sounds a lot like archery to me :)

I doubt very seriously that very many animals would even be hit with spears. however, if you are a sly enough to get close enough to get him with a spear, my guess is you have probably practiced this enough to be able to take him. What you would likely see would be a bunch of yuppies having deer walk by them at 30 yards, and they rare back and fling one at him, only to have the spear hit the dirt 10 feet in front of the animal. I was reading an article about a guy that had been hunting with spears where I live for 10 years, and he finally bagged his first deer with one...

I would say that the spear would cause a lot more damage than an arrow, and I don't think that bow hunters have any room to be talking about wounding animals. If you have bow hunted for any amount of time, probably all of us have unfortunately and not intentionally wounded a deer that we never recovered. I have never tried it, but I would think it would be hard to be really accurate.

I always thought it would be neat to learn how to use an atlatyl and spear.. talk about primitive.. but then again... on a long boring sit in a tree-stand, I always thought what would happen if a deer were right under me and I just jumped on its back and slit its throat.... yea, I think about some weird !$@# sometimes, haha...:drink1:

The Atlatl was legalized in Mo this past season, but we could only use it during firearm season??!!! The Atlatl is way more primitive than archery, but what can ya do!! Hit YouTube and search atlatl, there are some extremely proficient "chuckers"!!! It is a short range weapon, like trad archery, 20 or less for me. My darts are rivercane, made by a feller in Pa, I made my atlatl (the actual thrower), from a maple tree limb!!! 190 gr grizzly 2 blade single bevels glued on tight!!!

d20c0bf8.jpg

7aaca9d7.jpg

00fe66ff.jpg

I'll add, for the naysayers, that I've killed 33 big game critters with the bow, 26 with trad gear..... If I didn't think I could kill with the Atlatl, I wouldn't chuck it!!!!

The Atlatl was legalized in Mo this past season, but we could only use it during firearm season??!!! The Atlatl is way more primitive than archery, but what can ya do!! Hit YouTube and search atlatl, there are some extremely proficient "chuckers"!!! It is a short range weapon, like trad archery, 20 or less for me. My darts are rivercane, made by a feller in Pa, I made my atlatl (the actual thrower), from a maple tree limb!!! 190 gr grizzly 2 blade single bevels glued on tight!!!

d20c0bf8.jpg

7aaca9d7.jpg

00fe66ff.jpg

AWESOME !!!!!!!:way: Can you show pics of the thrower and how they fit into it?

cool stuff fireman. I am glad you had better luck than the guy I heard about. how long are the spears that you chunk with that thing? cause from one of the pics you have up they look looooong.

Look at the pic with the broadheads. The stick on the left is the Atlatl. It is cut from a fork in a limb. I wrapped it with sinew to reenforce. Sharpened down to a point. The darts have a dimple in the nock end. Check out YouTube, lots of good video there on technique and equipment!! I didn't get a chance at a deer, only took it out once, killed a dandy with the rifle tho!! My darts are 7' plus!!

Here are two different Atlatls. My homemade one, and one I bought. The fancy one has a cradle, where with the old school one you have to pinch the dart!! I throw better with the limb!!!

Atlatl001.jpg

Atlatl002.jpg

Atlatl003.jpg

As I was taught, the darts are the important part... Just like wood arrahs, if they're crooked, they don't fly well!! Spend extra on the darts....whether it's time making your own, or money if you purchase! Obviously the thrower can be made from anything!!!

Top Bottom