Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Species of turkey's

J

jason

Have any of you guys shoot a differnt species of turkey, in Iowa other than an eastern?

...I have not...though I have heard rumors that some merriams may be found in the floods plains of the Missouri River...supposedly came over from Nebraska (proving that turkeys aren't all that dumb - heh, heh)...what I find interesting is that the NWTF has a record merriams listed as being taken from Iowa (I have always wondered if it was typo and should say Idaho?)...I do however have some friends that have shot some toms with very light colored fan tips (perhaps a hybrid or just a regional variation?)...a few of these were from the Loess Hills...

Jason,
I believe I remember hearing that when they first tried to stock Iowa with turkey they tried Merriams. I also believe that they were located in the western side of the state. But yes the NWTF does have record of some Merriams harvested in the western part of the state but by now they are more likely than not a hybrid.

I harvested a bird last year with unusually white tips on his fan (see pic on my website, Iowa longbeard. April 21, 2001). I know it isn't a Merriam but there was an awful lot of white ones with red heads with him........... ;0)>

Ogz,
Do you know anything about this? And when are we going shed hunting?

------------------
Go Early, Stay Late... Limb Chicken

[This message has been edited by Limb Chicken (edited 03-04-2002).]

I live about 4 miles from the Missouri River and yes there is Merriams that fly across the river. I usually head for the hills and hunt Easterns because I dont like fighting the crowds that also know that they are there. The birds that I have seen are younger birds that have gotten run off. I havent seen a limb hanger yet, but I am always looking

The one my dad shot this spring had a pure white tips and thin beard and same size as a merriams.don't know if it was a merriam or a easterm merriam hybrid.

Limb is right (as usual) about the state trying to stock Merriam's. In the early 1960's Merriam's and Rio Grande subspecies were released at several sites but they adapted poorly. The first Eastern's were stocked in 1966 and the rest is history.

You can read about it at the DNR website at Wild Turkey Restoration

[This message has been edited by Driftless (edited 02-28-2002).]

My dad shot this turkey last year during 4th season. It's tips are even whiter than they appear in this picture. Even the short feathers in the center of the fan show up very light colored...a really cool bird, whether a hybrid Merriam's or just a genetic fluke. This turkey was also shot in western Iowa.

uploadeddad%27s%20turkey.jpg

NWBuck

Huh...I can't see the pic, but see an icon indicating a picture is there. Anyone else see it??

[This message has been edited by NWBuck (edited 02-28-2002).]

NW Buck, seeing what you are. Can you edit your post or try resending? It'd be cool to see the pic.

My scanner and I are currently not getting along,
confused.gif
but I was able to post a picture of the turkey I spoke of above in the Test thread of the Adding Photos conference. The size is too big, but you can clearly see the white tips in the long and short feathers.

NWBuck

I saw the picture NW Buck. That is a neat looking bird. Thanks.

Great looking bird. I was wondering if anyone knows what the law says about a private citzen releasing pen raised birds. I know of a guy who has done this. Just wondered if is legal/ethical.

Top Bottom