Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Spine shots

203ntyp

PMA Member
I was wondering how many have ever spined a deer by accident or on purpose. This is the result of a Steel Force broad head meeting up with a spine on the buck I harvested last year. He was almost dirrectly underneath me when I shot. I held the pin under his chest & hit the spine. I'm thinking of trying a pendulum sight. Has anyone ever tried them & do they work?
948PICT0002a.JPG

Never tried a pendulum sight so I can't be of much help there.
confused.gif

That may bring up discussions of the clinometer again!
evil.gif

I did shoot high on a extreme quartering away shot on a buck once. Hit right in the back of the neck below the base of the skull. I passed the buck as he walked straight underneath the tree because of the bad angle.

I will say he dropped as if hit in the head with sledge hammer with Shovelbuck on the handle end.
bigshock.gif

Cool Picture!
grin.gif

cool pic, and a neat memento to keep.

i had a wild flyer and hit a buck in the neck, directly in the spine. went down just like the deer in limb's post
smirk.gif

you should sent a copy of that pic to the company, i bet they would like to see that

That is a pretty cool picture. Not a shot that people would want but I would take a spine shot. I should say I have taken a spine shot but it wasn't planned. Sure makes for a short tracking job.

My whitetail I shot last fall was a uphill shot, went in the left lung, hit the spine, and back down the right lung and out. I was shooting 72 pounds, montec g5, 560 grain arrow at 280 fps, it took a 4 inch chunk of bone out of his spine and he dropped and expired right in his tracks.

DANG! Bet that made a loud crack when it hit.
shocked.gif
One of my friends has a vertebrae from a deer he shot with a Muzzy stuck in it. The crazy thing was that the buck dropped his rear end to turn and run and the arrow went in the underneath side of his neck. It looked as though he was directly under the buck when he shot it.

I've never used a Steel Force B/H before. It looks like they're pretty stout.

That is an awesome picture, that is one tough broad head. Spine shots happen, one thing to keep in mind when you accidently spine shoot one, is if you only hit that dorsal vertabra he will still drop like a sack of potatoes but he is most likely just stunned. I've heard it to many times from people "he droped in his tracks, next thing I knew he was on his feet and running like nothing ever happened." The thing is if you hit that dorsal vertabra and not the actual spinal cord, all you have done is stunn him. I would recomend a fallow up shot on all spined deer just to be on the safe side.

I've never seen a spine shot with a bow but last year my buddy shot one in the femoral sp? artery. He said it looked up and acted like he missed took 2 steps and fell over. It was a hilarious story to listen to. He was just glad that a bad shot went good.

I have spine shot two in the last 6 years, both by accident. That shot directly below you is a tough one. Like everyone else said, I sure like the tracking job.

No doubt they go down like a rock but I'm still wonedering if a pendulum sight is they way to go to avoid the high hits? If anyone has experience with them I'd like to know the pros & cons. Thanks!

Save your time and money on the pendulum sight. The key to the pendulum sight is the target must be on a level surface. If the target is not standing on level ground you will shoot over it every time. If every deer was on level ground they would work great. I sighted one in in my backyard and I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Until I shot at a 150's inch buck at 20 yards in a steep creek bank and only collected a patch of back fur. I couldn't believe it. So I started an experiment and put my target on the level side of the creek bank and bam just like shooting in the back yard put the target on the steep creek bank and stuck it over the target everytime. Now I'm not a scientist and I'm sure there is an explanation for this but I just know through school of hard knocks they don't work in a lot of true hunting situtions. It is also virtually impossible to use in a blind or off the ground because you have to reset the knob to shoot when you and your target are both on the ground for different distances. If you still want to try one I will sell you the one I took off my bow the day after I missed that deer and did my experiment. Trust me I will sell it CHEAP!!!

I have used a pendulum sight for several years and absolutely love it.It is a savage pendulum and once you sight it in at 20 yds. off the ground you are ready to hunt.[note] I live in Kansas where it is very flat terrain.But in my opinion they are awesome.
grin.gif

Never hit one in the spine with a bow, however I did shoot my biggest buck ever with a shotgun through the spine when he was directly under me. Boy was it nice just to see him fall over and not take off flying through the timber, easiest track job I ever had, 6 yards from the base of my tree.

Top Bottom