Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Split brow 10

Wetsleeves

Haven't been on in a while but was able to fill my tag the last week of bow.

The Story,

Being tapped out of vacation time and thinking my bow season had come to an unfruitful end the weekend before, I saw a small glimmer of hope reappear when I called in for jury duty and was informed that there would be a trial that I needed to report for. I got to the courthouse the following morning and my hopes became reality when I was let go after the first round elimination of jurors. I made it back home by noon and was in the tree by 1.

1:45pm: The light easterly winds I was getting was starting to make me second guess my stand choice.

2:00pm: Pack up, climb down, and sneak to a different stand a few hundred yards away.

2:45pm: Realize the wind is even worse for the new stand I moved to;

3:00pm: Pack gear back up, climb down, creep back into the stand I started in.

Once back in the stand I started in, I was now completely flustered and dropping milkweed puffs like a wild man trying to make sense of what the wind and thermals were doing. From what I could see from the path of the milkweed and where I believed the deer would be coming from I would be walking a very fine line. It was 100% good for the deer and the way they would be entering the field, but borderline really bad for me.

At 3:30 a few does and small bucks entered the field. One mature doe walked along the line I had established as the point at which i would most likely be busted but she never freaked. Things were looking up.

4:30 the buck parade began. It started with a couple 2 year old bucks then a couple good up and coming 3 year olds, and then lastly the buck I was after. They browsed through the beans and brassicas very slowly making their way closer.

4:45pm

5:30pm: After a long season, one which I thought was over 2 days before, he was now mine. I guess if somethings meant to be its meant to be

39 yards Double lung, He went 50 yards.

Last edited:
Nice buck, congrats! last year I got an extra morning off after my vacation was over and filled my bow tag thanks to jury duty. Glad it worked out!

Congratulations! I had a couple hunts this fall where I got down and moved due to the wind not cooperating.

Thanks to all for the kind words.

Congrats on a great buck! Any advice for getting eliminated if the need ever arises?

Thanks.
It was a burglary case, they took me into a room alone with the states attorney the defense's lawyer, the judge and the court attendant. They then asked me questions like, how long had I lived at my current residence, and if I knew anyone involved in the case from the defendant and the lawyers all the way to the arresting officers. Then they asked if I had ever been a victim of a burglary, I said I wouldn't have considered it necessarily a burglary, but have had things stolen from me. They asked me how that made me feel, I told them "Absolutely furious". That was all they had for me, and I was eliminated and outta there by noon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom