Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Spot lighting deer.

Would you take the chance if you were them? There are some wild west hillbillies in Iowa. I know a few and I also work in law enforcement and know a few game wardens and they are not gonna take the chance.

I haven't heard of any game wardens getting in wild west shoot-outs with poachers. I would think that the biggest risk would be losing your job if you just threw people into the dirt and cuffed them because they MAY be poaching. The fact is that spotlighting without weapons is legal and if people want to do it then that is their right. The game warden has every right to come up and check out what you are doing but if he went in with his gun drawn every time he 'suspected' something I don't think he would be a game warden too much longer.

Because not everyone can afford a nice trail camera and cheap ones miss a lot of deer and can't monitor a whole field. A spotlight is $15 at K-Mart and you can see first hand what kind of deer are on your property. As long as you aren't harassing or shooting at the animals why shouldn't it be legal?

In ND it is illegal to even point your headlights at a deer in the field and I am fine with that.

No reason for this to be legal. Shining lights at deer in a field isn't harassing them? If someone came a shined a light in your house at midnight every night you wouldn't consider that as harassing?

This just opens the door for poachers......it must be a nightmare for wardens to control this.

It doesnt seem to bother the deer all that much, most of the time they just stand there and continue eating or lying in their bed all nice and comfy. They rarely ever appear harrassed. I have a hard time believing this opens the door up for poachers. If they are poachers theyre most likely going to do it anyways.

Yeah whenever we did it they don't pay much attention, they just looked at us kept on doing what they were doing. I don't see the comparison to shining in my house at midnight. Deer don't have 'houses' and the deer that I'm spotlighting are already in the field and feeding. It's not like I'm tromping into their bedding areas or anything. If we are going to forsake our rights to hinder poachers then we should make hunting coons and coyotes at night illegal too because their gunshots might be mistaken for poachers. Or maybe pass a law that says you can't have a gun in your car after the sun goes down because poachers use guns at night. You see where I'm heading? I'm all for catching poachers but how many of our rights are we going to have to forsake to do so? I agree with the above post too, whether spotlighting is legal or not, a poacher is probably going to do it. I'm speaking from the standpoint of spotlighting on my own private property, I'm not sure if it is legal or not to spotlight from the road. I know when I lived in Nebraska you couldn't spotlight from a vehicle or have a weapon on you, and that makes sense to me, but totally banning the use of a spotlight at night seems crazy to me.

Last edited:
Drop_Tine5214 said:
I haven't heard of any game wardens getting in wild west shoot-outs with poachers. I would think that the biggest risk would be losing your job if you just threw people into the dirt and cuffed them because they MAY be poaching. The fact is that spotlighting without weapons is legal and if people want to do it then that is their right. The game warden has every right to come up and check out what you are doing but if he went in with his gun drawn every time he 'suspected' something I don't think he would be a game warden too much longer.

I'm not saying that game wardens go in guns blazing or drawn. The game wardens that I know aren't like that. I'm just saying that there is the possibility if the situation calls for it. I don't mind spotlighting at all. As stated in this thread it is sometimes only what people can afford as opposed to trail cams. Maybe a suggestion that can help is contact your local game warden and give them a heads up if you plan to spot light in a certain area. It would make for less stress on you and the game warden. Apologies for what I said being unclear. I think spotlighting can be useful and it is up to each hunter if they choose to do it. To each their own!

Top Bottom