Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Spray after a rain?

Crimson Arrows

Well, I am heading out to spray my clover that has alot of weedy friends and have seen that it has rain hard in the area today. Is is better or does it matter to spray with the weeds being wet?

I am also using "volunteer" , what they said was generic select. Hopefully it will help the clover take off a bit more for fall and aid with frost seeding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntyak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I am heading out to spray my clover that has alot of weedy friends and have seen that it has rain hard in the area today. Is is better or does it matter to spray with the weeds being wet?

I am also using "volunteer" , what they said was generic select. Hopefully it will help the clover take off a bit more for fall and aid with frost seeding. </div></div>

Are you going to spray tonight???

They are talking more heavy rain here tonight which could wash the herbicide off from the leaves.

The Select Max label says NOT to apply if rain is likely within one hour of application, AFTER a rain is fine.

Select Max

Volunteer

Tonites weather forecast:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tonight: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 70. Calm wind becoming north around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
</div></div>

I would wait. Even if it is after a rain, you are basically cutting your chances of killing the grass down by 50%. You want dry weeds when you are trying to kill them. If the plant is wet, it can absorb the moisture needed, then kind of "shut down" until it is dried off.

I've seen it work just fine after a rain, but I have seen it not work more often.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You want dry weeds when you are trying to kill them. If the plant is wet, it can absorb the moisture needed, then kind of "shut down" until it is dried off.
</div></div>

What about a heavy dew in the morning Brian? I always felt one should wait until it dried off also?

That is especially true with round up. We don't move a machine until the dew is dried off, which is usually around 9 am. Its kinda of a toss up, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Top Bottom