Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Spring planted tillage radish??

Wi transplant

PMA Member
Not sure if this has been coverd here but has anyone had any luck spring planting tillage radish for breaking up ground ? With the dry falls we have had last couple of years in my part of Southern iowa my radish and turnips have not produced bulbs ! So considering planting tillage radish in spring and using to "till/ break up"" soil in my existing hay field for fall plots? Thoughts ? Experiences ??

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I sort of did this once...I just broadcast some leftover brassica seed that I had into a section of my CRP that I periodically burn and let grow back "wild". I find that this fairly small area is one of the places that the quail and pheasants are always in...that's why I do it. At any rate, even though the soil bed was far from clear, I could see some brassica germination in there...so something happened. I assume the deer found the radishes at the right time, but I don't really know about that. Certainly, the radishes grew enough that there was at least some soil penetration.

As long as you get those tiny seeds to the soil, they will grow with even a modest amount of rain IMO. I don't know why what you are proposing would not work for your purposes.

I sort of did this once...I just broadcast some leftover brassica seed that I had into a section of my CRP that I periodically burn and let grow back "wild". I find that this fairly small area is one of the places that the quail and pheasants are always in...that's why I do it. At any rate, even though the soil bed was far from clear, I could see some brassica germination in there...so something happened. I assume the deer found the radishes at the right time, but I don't really know about that. Certainly, the radishes grew enough that there was at least some soil penetration.

As long as you get those tiny seeds to the soil, they will grow with even a modest amount of rain IMO. I don't know why what you are proposing would not work for your purposes.
. Not too change the subject it anyone try any whitetail institute products?

Top Bottom