Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Spring Turkey Hunting Advice Needed

cjcolli

I have seen so many turkeys around this year and I think it would be fun to try and hunt them this year. I am looking for advice as far as equipment to use, calls, shells, where to set up, how to clean, cook, etc... I have never done this before so I am looking for just some advice.

Thanks

The easiest call to use in my opinion is the trusty box call! It is what I started with and I still kill turkey's with it. And as far as cooking them I grill the breasts!! Try it you will have a blast!

turkey hunting is awesome, i think you will love it. here is some pointers. im sure others will fill in too.

1. box call and slate call are the easiest to learn (my opinion)

2. remington hevi shot is the best shot out there (my opinion), but pattern your gun with many brands, every gun is different.

3. dont know about cooking, my mom does it for me!!

4. usually hunt ridges in the mornings or field edges where they will go. at night field edges or where they will end up roosting.

5. when they are gobbling in the morning try to set up as close as you can to them, i like to get about a 100 yards away. (again my opinion)

6. dont quit hunting just because its the middle of the day, usually the old toms will be done breeding in the morning and maybe looking for hens.

7. make sure to be fully camoflauged, they can see like no other.

8. dont call too much, if you know the bird is coming in.

9. hunt with a buddy and have him sit 40 yards behind you in case he hangs up 70 yards out from him and you are only 30 yards away from him.

10. have fun and be safe
smile.gif

Dito to what's been said previously, but probably the best advice is to find an experienced hunter that will take you along on a hunt. I think most turkey hunters are more than happy to initiate another person into this sport. I was fortunate enough to have a friend help get me started and it definitely shortened the learning curve. Short of that, watch some videos and listen to calling, although my experience is that most of the time turkeys will answer about any kind of squawk if they're in a talkative mood. Just try to imitate what they do and you can't go too far wrong.

Good luck .... only about 4 months to go!!!

Threebeards

Making the shot is 'typically' easy, getting them close is the challenge.

Threebeards, agree with you on tagging along with an experienced hunter to shorten the curve. But there was no better thrill for me as a rookie, learning the ropes myself, missing opportunities, then finally tagging my first tom after three seasons. I was dancing to my own music that morning knowing I bagged the bird by myself.

cjcolli, dont' be afraid to get out there solo and learn for yourself.

I caught the turkey hunting bug many years ago when my brother-in-law and I decided to try it together. I have been hooked ever since. There is nothing quite like a huge tom strutting into your decoys after some calling! I totally agree with the whole "go with someone experienced" idea. I started out being completely clueless about turkeys and turkey hunting....but over the years I have learned countless lessons from veteran hunters. I would also say that all those trial and error sessions out in the woods are priceless....they teach you more than ever.
As a helpful hint.....always pattern your shotgun with a nice, tight choke. Over the years I have tried several....some just don't work well in my gun....others are amazing. It is absolutely vital to know where your gun shoots and if it is getting enough shot in the kill zone....they are some tough birds! Ditto to everything else that has been said.

Get out there in March and scout. Scout and scout some more. Don't just go out blind on opening day. Know where your turkeys are, where they roost, where they feed mornings and evenings, find their strut zones, dust baths etc. Don't be afraid to get out there at dawn a week or so before the season opens. Leave your calls at home and just watch. If you know where they roost and where the hens feed in the morning you can put yourself inbetween. If you're set up where the turkeys want to go anyway it makes things a whole lot easier.

Buy calls that are offered with videos. Then wear them out, your wife will still love you. Maybe

Use the calls too often and that maybe might turn into just a slight chance!
evil.gif

I think ive gotten 2 duck calls, 4 turkey calls, 1 pair of rattling antlers, and 2 goose calls taken away because my mom, brother and sister dont care for then....either does our Jack Russle he usually howls along and that makes more noise and more of a reason for mom to take them away. I eventually find them though!!
peace.gif

huntn4life88
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif
sniper.gif

go out about 3-4 weeks ahead of the season and practice on real birds, you might want to do this elsewhere than where you plan to hunt. you will find out how well turkeys can hear and see. being able to sound like a hen is a part of hunting turkey. being able to set up on a tom and getting off a shot without being seen can sometimes be very fustrating at times(many times) but when you hear a turkey answering your call with a blood curling gooble ...YOU'LL BE HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom