Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Spring vs Fall Planting

dbltree

Super Moderator
The wet weather we're having this spring is just another reason I prefer mid-summer to late summer plantings. We are a good 2 weeks behind here in SE Iowa as far as crop planting goes.

The ground is saturated so much that it can't hold another drop. It almost dries out and then we get another round of wet weather.

I'd hate to have a million dollar operating loan at the bank and nothing in the ground right now... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Forecast doesn't look promising either...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thursday: A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 73.

Thursday Night: Showers and thunderstorms likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 54. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Friday: A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 67.

Friday Night: A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 43.

Saturday: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 63. </div></div>

I don't have anything other then some soybeans and long season brassicas that need to be planted in the spring and there is plenty of time yet for that but I would like to get some oats in as well.

Clover, alflafa and peas can all wait if Mother nature doesn't cooperate.

Anything being planted in your neck of the woods or is everybody "floating"??

Going back home this weekend to hopefully get started on corn..hopefully! We wanted to have the farmer get our clover and alfalfa fields in but the dozer hasn't fixed the blown out terrases yet and nothing can happen until he does. May be looking at late summer/early fall here as well.

We actually have quite a bit of corn in the ground around here. Seems like the last two weeks, Wednesday has been the magic day and alot of corn got planted on the last two Wednesdays. I just got off the phone with a guy who is planting beans this morning, and leaving a few nasty ruts here and there, but he is a large operator and he wants his crop in. If we get this next rain, it will just delay us another week. Alot of guys are not to fired up just yet, as last year most didn't get corn planted until the first and second week in May.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Switching to rice this year....... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif </div></div>

Heck, even rice needs a dry bed to germinate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">didn't get corn planted until the first and second week in March. </div></div>

Holy cow planting corn in March!!!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoessHillsArcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">didn't get corn planted until the first and second week in March. </div></div>

Holy cow planting corn in March!!!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

Hey, I'm originally from southeast MO, and that is the prime time /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif I really ment May.

would rather plant in aug and sept.I have better luck with stuff then.
I will be 2 bottoming a field for corn/bean mix tomorrow.
those deer better watch out...

saw 2 bucks at lunch and both sets of hocks were still stained black????

It is still wet up here in NE Ia. A little oats got planted before the last big rain and the erosion was so bad on those fields they may need to replant. Some anhydrous was applied but a lot of that is down the river. Had water in my basement over the weekend. That's only the second time in 57 years that has happened so you know it is wet out. Even if it was dry I don't think I would plant corn with the soil temps so low and no really warm weather in sight. It was fun listening to the "old-timers" (Iam rapidly becoming one since I can remember this stuff) talk about late springs and snow on Memorial Day etc. The real hitch may come this fall when wet corn will have to dried with EXPENSIVE LP instead of hauled directly to market like the last few years. I well remember corn planted late April that wouldn't break through because it was too cold. Guess I'll plant trees for a few more days.

Top Bottom