Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Squirrels

BowHunter84

This may be a stupid question; but is a squirrel senses you being in the stand and starts chirping does this act as a warning of danger for the deer and other animals?? If so, maybe that is the reason i have not been seeing many deer.

This morning I took a stand in and set it up in a different area than normal. I couldn't believe the number of squirrels, I could see 8 at one time. Most of the time you can move slowly in your stand and they won't notice you, even when they are within 10 yards.

Today after rattling I got one worked up and he sat 10 feet from me and barked up a storm. I just sat still and he quit and moved on. Within a few minutes he was back on the ground gathering nuts.

I think deer do listen to squirrels and birds, but remember deer will also cause some squirrels to bark and chatter.

I'll see the squirrels on the ground start running up trees and know that a deer is coming.

A deer will rely on all of his senses but primarily their nose when alarmed. Some people say you can fool a deer's vision and hearing twice, but with their nose you have one chance.

I had a squirrel almost in my lap yesterday morning. I was up in my stand and down the hill he comes and up the tree right in front of me (about 3 feet) the little sucker comes up to about hip high and stares at me. Then he started doing the "I'm gonna jump wiggle" I had to move my arm a little and down the tree he went and back to digging. The little buggers sure are thick.

Top Bottom