Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stand heigth

deadeye

Since it is the season everybody is hanging the stands I was wondering at what heigth most people like to hunt? Please include heigth for portables that you leave out and when you use climbers.

We use 16 foot homemade ladders and chain to trees. Makes for hanging stands pretty easy. I like to hunt about the same heigth with the climber. I think much higher and the shot angle isn't as good. We hunt flat river bottoms. Hunting really rough ground can be really different.

Thanks for any input.

Depends where the stand is set, I set a stand in a tree yesterday and made it only 18 feet which is unheard of for me. I could not get any higher without trimming the entire thicket. Most of my fixed position portables are at 25 ft plus up to around 31-32 ft max. In areas with no cover, I cant get that high without looking like the Super 8 hotel squirrel nest so I have to hint lower. Climbers, depends on the tree I am climbing but around 20-22 feet. I have a bow rope attached to the front of the stand and as soon as the bow starts to lift is when I quit climbing.

I hunt higher than the average person and I may not need to go as high as I do but I rarely get scented and only get spotted when I make a mistake. I do not pick trees that have no branches where my stand will be just to avoid the blob effect and I always wear a safety harness..........

My uncle was a nose bleed fan like you also. Until, that is, he hit a couple deer and didn't get an exit hole. Becuase of the angle sitting that high he had a high entry whole which didn't produce a very good blood trail until the whole chest fills up with blood. After that he started hunting a bit lower.

Originally our home made deer ladders were 12 foot. As a rule I never had problems getting winded or seen either. I do like it a bit higher so you can get into more cover and get away with more movement.

i like to get as high as the tree allows me to, without looking like an idiot in the top of a tree looking like a big blob. it seems like with gun in the early season, im a little lower normal than usual so i can see under the foliage and shoot farther. but other than that most of my stands range from 18 - 25 sometimes higher. all depends on the tree, goodluck this year guys!!!!!

Question-- Where do you determine how high you are ? Foot level or eye level? 20-30 foot up is high- most of my stands are 14-16 at foot level. some shorter depends on the surrounding vegetation.

iowaelk hntr, all mine are measured from foot level or from the base of the stand. i buy those pull ropes from walmart that are 20 foot long, and i usually go all the way up until i have that rope about 3-4 foot off the ground so my bow and gun doesnt hit the ground, so i figure im usually 20-25 foot high, sometimes i cant get that high, if there is good cover i will sit lower, but i dont like to go below 17 foot at all. goodluck again this year!!!

I am with Liv4Rut as far as where I measure etc. I make my own bow ropes which are about 20 foot long and sometimes have to tie a little extra on to be able to reach them

12-13 feet max. I like close shots and good shot angles. It helps me develope good hunting dicipline and I like the deer to look like deer instead of mice.
grin.gif

I'd have to say most of my stands average about 15-17 feet. I do have one stand that's only about 10ft. It's in a hedge tree along a fence row. Surprisingly, I haven't ever been winded in the 2 years I've been hunting it. I have had deer look up, but then just go about their business.

I hunt diffrent heigths depending on the area and cover I like to be 25'- 40' at 40' you can breakdance and not be seen. I own a Viper Golith and I feel very safe and comfortable in it at high heigths.

Monday was our opening day, and wouldent you know one hour before dark a huge storm blow in and I was 41'. I got down quick only to find that my friend had arrowed two, so we tracked them in the rain and found them both one doe and a smaller buck about 13" wide he must have over 20 bucks on and around his 60 acres it dident hurt the herd to take a couple.

Yikes! At 41' I'd be so damn scared I couldn't pick my bow up...much less pull it back. Also did a little work with my ole' buddy "Pythagoras" and found that at 41' a deer standing 20 yards from the base of the tree will be almost 25 yards away as the arrow flies. The same deer from a 12' stand (my personal preference) is less than a half of a yard further. Makes a good excuse for me not to go that high anyway
smile.gif

NWBuck

I will hunt varying heights depending on the situation. If i am out on a fence row and a 15 foot cedar is the only tree and i can only get up 8-10 feet but still have good cover i will hunt that. If i am in a pine plantation i will go as high as i have to to get good cover. I have hunted as high as 40 feet without problems and have set some observation stands even higher. However, I usually hunt between 20 and 30 feet and find that this is the best all around height to be at. Spook less game with movement, wind seems to carry over your downwind side further, you can see more etc.....
But to each is your own!! The main thing is have fun and be safe!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
eviljudge.gif

I would think that if you got much above 20 feet you would need a helpful tool like a . . . . clinometer.
smile.gif

The only time I go that high is when there is limited cover like hunting open oak ridge. I just sit where I am the most camoed and where my shooting lane are the clearest.
cool.gif

Top Bottom